1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Looking for 55" 4k TV advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 8 Oct 2019.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

My Sony has both the Synology and Plex apps, it is my older Samsungs that don't have the apps cos they aren't Android TV's. My point, probably badly made, was purely that non-android TV's are limited to the apps available from the manufacturer.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Couldn't agree more, and was the major reason I went down the droid route.

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

My Samsunbg does have a Plex app.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

+1. So true.

In 2014, I bought 2 TV, one small one for kitchen, another 55 inch for living room. Both top end model of their respective size. Sony 24inch with built-in wifi and sat + aerial tuner. Samsung 55 inch F8000, with loads of HDMI, "evolution box" upgradable smart system, dual sat + aerial tuner.

The Sony one is hopeless as smart TV. Apart from watching live TV, it's essentially a Chromecast display.
    The top of the line Samsung had Skype app deleted when Skype stopped supporting TV's. The interface had received updates and became very slow. The "evolution" upgrade pack never materialsed.

In 2016, I bought the 2015 nVidia Shield TV. It's still fully up to date and supported now in late 2019.
    Now the Samsung TV is essentially a nice display for Shield TV. Luckily being top of the line, it still looks very nice and doesn't show its age.

I'm considering upgrading. But I think I'll wait a bit more until OLED has matured. There's no chance I'm throwing away the current TV for another LCD based TV (eg. QLED). My living room isn't very bright due to the conservatory, and my biggest complaint when watching Game of Throne on my current TV is the dark scenes looks like lighter gray on darker gray.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

My dad was pissed when his Samsung with we am lost skpe support. I just ordered a xiaomi box and will get a new TV soon when I'm back in the UK.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I bought the evolution kit, found it for £50 and my old samsung TV is still going strong, it was a massive upgrade, though does seem dated now compared to other cheap screens I have around the house and don't think it has seen an update for a year or two, all apps are still fine, I never used Skype so can't comment.

7. wyx087

That was available for TV's before 2014 model year and the last evolution kit was released to bring previous TV up to 2014 standard.

But my 2014 TV is advertised as having evolution kit capability, the upgrade kit (eg. in 2016/2017) never arrived. :sad:

8. wyx087

I'm tempted by this deal on LG OLED 55C9 TV for £1274. or £71 a month using 18 month interest free, being interest free, no reason not to use it.
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-oled55c9pla-1274-richer-sounds-3330080

In terms of display only (ignore sound quality or smart features) is there anything coming in next few years that would age this OLED display?