1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Suggested options for fan control

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperHans123, 29 Oct 2019.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I have a Lian Li Lancool One case, so cannot install any fan controllers at the front because there are no front slots.
    I have set the fan options available in the BIOS to 'Quiet' but this doesn't seem quiet enough.
    Next I tried connecting them to one of those small multi fan headers powered by SATA which has two modes, Hi and Lo. Lo still doesn't quite cut it.
    The best software solution I found was Argus monitor buy you have to pay for a licence when the 30 day evaluation period expires.
    I tried Speedfan but it doesn't recognise my motherboard. (Biostar..I know, please don't judge me, its been great so far!)
    Any suggestions?

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Under €20 for a 3 year licence seems a reasonable cost. Alternatives would be to buy better quality fans or fit resisters and hope the fans will run at a slow enough speed not to stop but be quiet.

3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Cheers.
    Yes, I have no qualms paying the licence fee but I thought if there was something free out there that did a similar job to Speedfan that I couldn't find, I would give that a go.
    Surprises me there are not more solutions out there for something so simple.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

One thing I only found out yesterday is my motherboard was running my fans in DC mode not PWM mode, so if they're PWM fans I'd give that a check as then your low setting is 25% instead of 50%. I think the main reason is most motherboards have very good onboard fan control, so you're in a bit of a niche place. An alternative would be a controller, Corsair, Nzxt among others do these, but then you obviously wouldn't be able to regulate the temperature. If you want a truely silennt experience it'll be new fans though, I have Liann Li fans and although fairly quiet, even at low speeds are noticable.

SuperHans123 likes this.