1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New GPU plus fan noise question.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeckerdBR, 18 Nov 2019.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I finally got round to replacing my aged i5 2500k, which has served me well since 2014... but was well overdue a replacement.

I went for:
    Ryzen 2700x (using stock wraith prism cooler).
    MSI Tomahawk B450 max.
    16 gig of Corsair vengance 3200 RAM.
    Corsair RMX650 PSU.
    250 gig Samsung Evo 970 M.2 drive.
    In a Corsair R275 case. All in for £570.

I have re-used only my SATA SSDs, SATA hard drives and GPU, a Zotac1070 mini.

I am loving the performance, everything is very snappy now and it's nice to join 2019 hardware wise but I have a niggling annoyance: fan noise.

I'm getting a tripple whammy of a more open case (which can only use 120mm fans far as I can see), the 1070 mini being a bit of a noisy bugger (it's a dual fan mini) and the stock ryzan cooler.

Im sure there must be some tweaks I can make to fan profiles on both CPU and GPU, and I'm sure I'd get an improvement if I replaced the stock TIM on the wraith with some MX4 thermal compound but ultimately I think a new GPU is probably the way forward.

I want a 1440p screen next year, so for now its going to be using my current 1920 *1200 monitor, however the GPU landscape has changed with the introduction of the super varients if the RTX cards and I have no idea about the AMD offerings.
    Any advice on the best option for a quirter graphics card to take me into 2020?
    Thanks.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2019
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have the same Stupid Glowy HSF, and I found that things got a *lot* better noise-wise by switching the little toggle to Low from the default High and adding a manual fan curve that doesn't really do much until... 55 degrees, maybe? I forget.

Whatever I set it to, the thing's idling right now at around 27 degrees, spikes to 36 as something fires off in the background and makes it switch to 4.3GHz for a second or so, then falls again. Under sustained load it's still quiet, and only under sustained synthetic load does it start to get loud.

That's in a case with two 120mms at the front, a 120mm at the back (I think) and a 120mm in the roof, plus a Founder's RTX 2080 with one of the fans half-blocked by a PCIe capture card.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

So I can maybe live with the load noise (your right, I think th CPU load noise seems more stable) as I wear a headset anyway and don't hear really hear it but I don't like lots of noise at idle. The 1070 mini's fans don't even spin at desktop, only when gaming and I think it gets loud due to the boost speed it tries to hit and maybe only having 2 smaller fans. But the Ryan is currently noisy at idle!

I just added 2 more fans, I'll see how it goes under load now but my idle temp is a good bit higher than yours, seems to average about 34-36c, hitting 42 at those weird spikes. Maybe I stuffed up the CPU cooler install and mashed the thermal pad?

I did install the drivers on the AMD site, the patch notes made specific mention of addressing desk top idling issues and while it did improve it a fair bit, it's still not to my preference!
    On the attached picture, if I click the 'all set default' button, it changes the fan curve, dropping the first 2 points down to 20 and immediately halves the RPM of the CPU fan. If I click 'all set cancel' it sets it back to the linear curve in the picture and gets noisy again.

Attached Files:

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I did clean off the supplied TIM and put some Noctua stuff on before I installed mine, and the fan curve is set so that it's as fast as it can be without being audible over the case fans up to 55-60 degrees or so, then ramps up quickly to full speed at 80. I very rarely hear it, even gaming, *but* I'm using a Fractal Mini case with sound-damping foam installed, which I'm sure helps.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2019
  5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I created a similar fan curve as you listed, worked a treat (thanks), idle fan speeds/noise is now great, I also adjusted the response off-set from 0.1 to 0.3, seems to have reduced the idle fan speed fluctuations when the CPU suddenly boosts and then drops.

Will re-apply some thermal paste next, as mine still runs hotter under-load than yours, even with the small temp reduction since I added the extra fans.

So GPU then... I used zotacs 'firestorm' utility to down set the target temp much lower, which reduced the 'power' from used/supplied from 100% to 83%. This has drastically reduced the fan noise and temps under load, (approx 80-82c down to 74c) but this is not an ideal solution so, new GPU recommendations are welcome. 1080p now, 1440p next year. Want it to be quiet under load, with a good warranty. Just not sure where the good bang for buck is right now.