1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

staffa, you gonna get that pic link working for us to see it?

(and i'm now the 1000 reply!! :rock: )

2. AmbientShadow

AmbientShadow What's a Dremel?

Erm...

Well, I joined just as many others have to say what a hell of a good job you're doing on this, and I look forward to the end of this project and any more projects you might have in mind.

Now, I don't mean to be frank but the real reason I joined was to ask a question:

I swear on the lord jesus above that I read all the project logs to the best of my abilities, and what I saw just didn't match with it.

I'm pretty darn sure that your radiator fan is sucking air in instead of blowing out.

Now, that could just be my eyes decieving me.... but by the look of the fins on your fan in this picture:

[​IMG]

and a few others that dont show it as clearly, you've mounted the fan to suck air in from the front of the case, blow over your radiator and then blowing the hot air throughout the crowded innards of your case . Now, this may be what you intended, but with 4 hard drives (closely mounted together), 2 DVD drives and countless other electronic gadgetry in there... isn't that somewhat suicidal?

Please correct me if I'm wrong :D

3. ___

___ What's a Dremel?

G-Gnome, I must say that this is an exquisite computer case modification, and I think you have exercised a high standard of professional work throughout your work on the case. Well done!!

I would also like to comment on the 'political crap', as it was once discribed, that is flying around this thread. The situation as I see it is somewhat like this:
    A man decides to construct a very beautiful computer.
    He puts many hours and much money into his project.
    He posts project logs on the internet.
    He gets an overwhelming response.
    Other men who are interested in the same hobby of computer modifications get very excited and demand updates.
    The man supplies the stipulated updates.
    A man is proud of his creation - quite rightly so!!
    Readers of his project logs comment, congratulate and question his creation.
    Many of the answers to these questions are contained in the text and pictures he just took quite some time to write out.
    I assume he is in favour of discussing more positive, relevant modding possibilities, which is why he explains in detail, the workings of his computer in the update text.

Forget not G-Gnome, that this is your first case modification and that many other people perceive and consider modding with different views and ideas and that you can learn from these people. On that same note, I think that followers and fans of this case mod should respect and consider the amount of time that went into this creation by one individual and try to realise that he is a busy guy who is trying to finish this mod. Maybe he sometimes doesn't have time for trivial, uninsightful questions that he has already answered and becomes frustrated when people ask these questions.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Peace

D

4. stigmata

stigmata What's a Dremel?

Re: Erm...

5. Raelrigs

Raelrigs What's a Dremel?

what was the point in quoting that .

i see no reason for it. did you forget to add your comment???

looks like a waste of time to me !!!

:nono: :nono: :nono:

6. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

sorry to break it to you but Realrigs has post #1000-1005 it says. Too bad Bacon :p

7. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

if you can't see the image click with the right button,choose property, then copy the url in a new iexplorer window...
    i'm going to look for another web host soon... :thumb:
    exactly!!!

:)

8. staffa

staffa What's a Dremel?

here is the new link

original:

[​IMG]

modified:

[​IMG]

9. n-gen

n-gen Banned

nope, that looks worse

keep the origional

10. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

Staffa, the "original" ORAC logo looks better - the modified one just looks like that cross member has been broken off by accident

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's all in the proportion. The R is too wide to leave out the cross member. If you narrow it, it would work, but then you'd have to narrow the other letters and that changes the whole look.

Logos are tricky. I'm still not happy with mine... :(

12. Risky

Risky Modder

Re: Re: Erm...

This isn't uncommon. For a start you generally want to be sucking air through the rad through the rad for best cooling. The hard drives can cope with a fair degree of heat. Any airflow will help as they will be running way above the ambient anyway. And finally the intake is intake which will end up cooling the case somewhat. you don't really go to watercooling and then want to stick loads more fans in your case.

13. Creekin

Creekin What's a Dremel?

yeah very true...
    the O and C now look too plain (and wide)...
    in the original..only the A appears "themed"

i agree Logos should be as plain and simple as possible..but
    in this case..something special is NEEDED!!! :)

Maybe just thinning the O and C would do it....it is very easy to spend ALOT more time than 5 mins on this...lol

Sorry G, if you post something like this here...
    you've GOTTA expect US to try and mod it!! :dremel:
    :D

14. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

ain't that the truth

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

True... true... *opens a beer* :p

16. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

True. And you gotta also expect that I might have posted the logo for-information only with no intent to change it. ;)

I like the logo the way it is in the original and that is the one that is going on the case - like it or lump it. :)

Also, as to the fan sucking cold air in from the outside of the case over the radiator rather than pushing warm air from inside through it...

This seems to be generally accepted amongst the WC community as the most efficient method so I don't quite understand the comment? You only have to look at other projects by more experienced watercoolers than myself to see them doing exactly the same thing - Coolmiester's cases (www.coolercases.co.uk), Nexxo's Metaversa and Mashie's y2k bug are all examples. I did it this way after a lot of reading articles on watercooling and seeing thae way people like these (and many others) did it.

------------------------

There have also been (more than) a few posts of late that are barely relevant to the project itself. For the sake of the thread and those who have subscribed can we please try and keep on topic?

e.g. Hypothetical suggestions on HSF's I could use (when I'm clearly not using one), comments on whether or not someone has the 1000th post, quoting someones post and then not adding any comment to it etc... and that's just on this page.

Don't get me wrong - I like hearing feedback and encouragement, comments and suggestions, but only if they are constructive and directly relevant to the project. Most comments are good and of helpful intent (thanks dudes!) I just don't want the thread deteriorating into spam - it's long enough as it is. :sigh:

I know I'm not always around to answer questions (e.g. I just spent the last 3 days in hospital) but I'll get around to answering any questions ASAP so please do be patient :)

Mod on! :dremel:

17. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Of course we will be patient. I don't really get al the critic too. This is just a cool project. The way I see it:

Criticise a project is simple, building one is a bit more difficult :eyebrow:

18. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

[​IMG]

Here is my new toothbrush - It's Orac3 Neon-Green Plexi-coloured!

:D

Vcdman - It's a Coles Persona Junior (soft bristles) - AU$ 1.79 from Coles Supermarkets (I don't think they will ship international though) ;)

19. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

:hehe: :hehe:

Arn't ya gonna mod that :p

20. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Hey, where are the leds :confused:

Lighted toothbrush :naughty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.