1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Compact Flash Socket (non SMT)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by relix, 25 Nov 2003.

1. relix

relix Minimodder

I need to find a Compact Flash socket to put a Compact Flash Card in it (well duh). I looked at Molex.com, but their sockets only have SMT-pins (1.27mm between two). I can't solder very well, so I definetly can't solder SMT-pins. Let alone 50 of them next to each other and on 2 rows.

Does anyone has a (cheap) alternative to soldering 50 SMT pins, or knows of a CompactFlash socket with "normal" pins?

2. MrShake

MrShake What's a Dremel?

What would be a "Normal" pin? What are you connecting the socket to?

3. relix

relix Minimodder

breadboard-distance ;)

I haven't thought of what I'm connecting it to yet, good question, but the distance between the pins need to be useable, so I can solder some wires to it (I won't need the full 50, maybe about 15 pins will do)

4. MrShake

MrShake What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm stumped as to what you would use a CF socket for with only some of the pins connected.. but here might be an idea:

http://www.mesanet.com/pdf/diskcard/4x20ds.pdf

Or more options along those lines at http://www.mesanet.com[url] Don't know if that helps at all!

5. relix

relix Minimodder

Loads ;)

That PCB thing you gave the link of has too many IC's on it to look good/cheap ;). I really only need to be able to access the pins of the socket easily.

6. MrShake

MrShake What's a Dremel?

I'm picturing a CF card, and to spread out the 50 pins on the slot to fit a bread board would be tough.. it may not exist, but hey, good luck

7. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

I highly doubt you will find anything like that. Reason is - pretty much the only time anyone would be buying a cf socket it would be for commercial purposes - and smt is standard for commercial designs. SMT soldering is doable though...

8. bigniall

bigniall What's a Dremel?

I know you can still get PCMCIA sockets in thru-hole format as we were using these recently at work to build PCB's for Nortel. The hole pitch was still probably a bit tight for a breadboard though. I'll see if I can find the manufacturers name anyway - They might do a CF version.

9. bigniall

10. relix

relix Minimodder

Isn't that still SMT (1.27) ?

Well, maybe SMT is solderable, but not for me it isn't ;) I'll need lots of practice first... :wallbash:

11. relix

relix Minimodder

I've found a possible solution:

use a CF-to-IDE adapter!

Like this one: http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/Fcfa.html

They are available everywhere (though they are fairly expensive for what they are). But I'm not sure if it'll work, as the IDE connector only has 40 pins, and the CF-card has 50 pins. Now I already told you I don't need all the pins but I do need specific pins and if it's one of those 10 pins that aren't attached to the IDE connector, it won't work.

So what I need to find is a circuit that shows what pins are needed for IDE-usage, and then compare that with the pins I need. Of course, there'll be some kind of "check" to see if the card has to work in CompactFlash mode, or in IDE mode, but I can easily cut that (I hope).

12. bigniall

13. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I saw that it was meant for reflow soldering which is an automated soldering process, so I would stay away from that socket, though I doubt you'll find one for through hole 2mm which is still hard to solder, or .1" which is standard for IC's.

1.27mm would be pretty hard to solder by hand. Hope the IDE adaptor works for you.

14. bigniall

It is possible to do these Pin-in-paste reflow but much more likely to just wave solder them.

OK i'm straying off-topic so I'd best just shut up :D (Spent far too long working in the PCB industry) :rolleyes: