1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WhoCrashed/Resplendence - any experience?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ModSquid, 11 Mar 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hi all,

Having some blue screen issues and other software crashes at the moment and have heard of something called WhoCrashed by Resplendence Software that may
    apparently be of some help.

Does anybody have experience or knowledge of either the software or developer, especially with regard to reliability and honesty (ie. no included malware etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Cheers Jeff. Seems like no harm in using it as an option in that case, as long as I bear in mind I may have to explore others. Hopefully it's improved in subsequent releases.

Anyone have any idea about company reliability/reputation?

3. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I haven't used it in a while but as a desktop engineer I did use it a number of times to indicate the offending item. It should show you the file (i.e. maybe dll or sys file) which can you then google if you don't know enough about it from the description. Not knowing your tech knowledge I would point out that just because a driver etc causes a blue screen, it may not be that actual driver / files fault - take with a pinch of salt as you can end up chasing up a dead end as it could be another driver / service / etc etc which causes a driver to fault, so that driver is caught red handed in the dump file but really it wasn't its fault directly.

ModSquid likes this.
  4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Okay, so reliability seems fine, but accuracy might be more questionable (and identifying a solution potentially more misleading/time-consuming! But then, this is the world of PCs...).

Thanks to both for the input - much appreciated indeed. Don't suppose there's an alternative route to identifying and fixing cause of a blue screen?

Last edited: 13 Mar 2020
  5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

There is WinDBG but I dare say not for the faint hearted. There are a few guides out there to get started so if you fancy something to stick your teeth into it might be something worth checking out

6. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

ModSquid likes this.
  7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Oooh! I have that nirsoft suite - will see if that tool is included in my version. Cheers everyone - will let you know how I fare once I've had a crack.

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hi again, thought I'd close this out by adding that I went with nirsoft in the end, purely because I had it already. It was pretty straightforward and it turned out that at this point, the overclock was causing the crash (confirmed by also checking system logs and finding unrecoverable core errors), along with outdated drivers for some Thrustmaster flight control hardware. Uninstalled those drivers with Revo, backed off the overclock a touch, reinstalled the drivers and apparently all seems fine now (touch wood).

Thanks all!