1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STellY's HTPC -56k- upd: 11/27

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by STellY, 18 Oct 2003.

1. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

yes i have thought of this problem. With the DVD drive and the necessary wires the drive acts as a standoff itself, so this is not exaactly necessary. I will make sure it is properly held up before it is finished do not worry

2. Solarius

Solarius What's a Dremel?

I love that rounded look on the front! Is that all done with the bender? Man, I wish I had one of those. I'm going to try and bend my aluminum with my work bench and a large 2" thick board I have. My aluminum is much thinnier though, .032". I just want to bend a little bit on the edges to give it some sturdiness. Nice look though! That will really blend well with your audio equipment, which I think is the most important look thing with an HTPC. I definitely agree that they don't need windows or lights, as you don't want them to be a distraction when you're watching DVD's or anything.

Have you tested out the capture quality of the AIW? I've read that its not really that great.

3. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

can you please tell me where you read this...k i would love to read up on it...

i have not yet bought the AIW so no havnt tested it obviously...

but if its not gunna have good capture quality i def. gotta rethink buyin it...

and thanks for the compliments... yeah i really like the rounded look it gives...

i actually tried out the DVD drive... had some problems with it and i will try to fix it or buy a new one... :(

4. Solarius

I beleive I read it on www.dvdrhelp.com. I'm trying to figure out how to get really good capture's on my current card. Leadtek win 2000XP Deluxe. The sound is coming out kind of tinn-ie. :( Good luck with your drive!

You know, worst case you could lower your MB down to min standoff, then put a full sized drive over the top and just offset it to the left. That way it would sit over your Battery and unused space. I'm not even going to have my motherboard touch the outside of the case. The only ports will be the TV in/out, and S/PIDF in/out and some USB ports in the front.

All in all though, you're much farther along than me and its looking great! Can't wait for your next update!

5. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

well i looked on a few sites and reviews.... nothing that bad...

heres some user reviews at newegg: http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=14-102-316

i dunno i will do more research... im also trying to figure out a lot about how to get my whole sound system to work with it as well... its gunna be hard...

6. Orion

Orion What's a Dremel?

:eeek:

WOW, it looks great.

Thanks for your sharing, it is really amazing

:lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Solarius

Does your MB have S/PIDF out? No? You might want to think about a new one. You can MB's with at least S/PIDF pass-through for pretty damn cheap now a days. It's the 5.1 encoding chip that has been a pain in the ass for me. Really hard to find a MB that has that AND Tv-out.

As for the AIW, I didn't read anything REALLY bad, I just read that it wasn't great. The one I have was rated as really good, but I'm not that impressed with it ( although I've been researching video capture, and DAMN there is a TON of info to know. I've been reading almost non-stop for a week straight and still don't know a 1/10 of what I need to ) so I'd hate to see what average capture is like.

8. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

well my mobo doesnt have s/pdif out but the 9600 AIW does.... will that work??

yeah i know that the ATI AIW arent that great for capturing just because it uses CPU resources to decode and not its own processor... which is what PVRs do...

i would buy a lot more stuff for this and make it more functional except for the fact that its so freaking small that isnt exactly possible... so the 9600 AIW seems to kill a few birds with one stone... imma do some more research and see what i come up with thanks for the comments keep em coming

9. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

The coax spdif out never seems to work at all on any AIW card. Sorry check out Rage3d.com forums they will confirm that.

10. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

ok i think i found what will solve all my problems... i will handle it once i get it put together for the most part... thanks every1 though

11. koola

koola Minimodder

Very nice project but I wonder where all the heat will go....?
    I imagine that when you power up, it won't be long untill it gets real hot inside as there don't seem to be any exhaust fans in the case except the fan in the 1U PSU - not a good idea to put all the hot air from the CPU through it :duh:

Anyways, keep it up!

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

you do realize that the lmost recent post in this thread is almost a year old right?

13. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Man Langer you must love reviving old threads, how many does this make in the past 3 days??? 6 or something??? ;)

14. apHytHiaTe

apHytHiaTe What's a Dremel?

:wallbash: ahem, Langer didnt do it... koola did :duh:

15. koola

koola Minimodder

Oh :duh: didn't read the date lol
    It did look good though, even for a past year project :D

16. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

/me sticks tongue out at G4m3R_X3r0

:D

(and I thinks its 2 revivals)