1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The "used" HP dock I bought arrived with a suspicious amount of OEM installed plastic wrap.

Looks like it was opened and returned by someone, and isn't actually used. Currently updating firmware, and it all appears dandy.

Also it came with the right cable, so although I spent an extra 20 currency (And still came in about 100 currency under a new one), it's currently making my desk look way less like a cableexplosion.

Edit: Also found the time to paint enough of the Red Frame that I was happy to put the head together:

[​IMG]

Yes, I painted white white and a little bit grey. I'm waiting until I order some airbrush stuff before I take the armour plates back off and paint the rest, because I hate painting flat plates with a brush. Nightmare to keep all the brush lines in check, especially with white.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2020
    Vault-Tec, adidan, IanW and 1 other person like this.
  2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

We've been told we're not being furloughed, yet, so still on normal salary. I think it's becaue we're still technically working - conference calls and emails. I'm waiting to hear if that remains the case for all employees though - I have a few anxious staff members. I think they are still paid as normal but I can't say so without confirmation from above.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'd already been working from home since St Patrick's Day (I'm a 3D CAD draftsman), but the company decided that they'd shut down for everybody.

MLyons likes this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Took a ROM image dumped from the prototype ZX Spectrum on which Nine Tiles developed Sinclair BASIC, as published by the Centre for Computing History...

[​IMG]

...and booted it up on my ZX Spectrum Next. Took a bit of fiddling - it thought it had -958 bytes of RAM at first, which didn't help - but it's now fully operational as a "personality" I can boot into. Sweet.

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  5. liratheal

Raided the velcro stocks and rigged up a cable tidying system under the desk.

It doesn't "look" as tidy as a channel with cables hidden in it, but it's a heck of a lot easier to add and remove cables.

6. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I found a whole roll of velcro in one of my laptop bags I took home from work, this has given me some motivation to re-do my previous slap dash attempts.

7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Free food... from the Government, no less.

8. liratheal

Velcro is one of my favourite cable management tools ever. I especially love the hook & loop fastener cable wraps, 'cause they stick like glue to the chunky stuff I've screwed'n'glued to the underside of my desk.

B1GBUD likes this.
  9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

My work (a US based multinational) are currently reviewing options, but are planning to take a "shared pain" approach to the C19 crisis globally.

Senior exec's / board taking no base pay or 50% reduction for 6 months, non-sales SVP down being moved to a 4 / day work week with corresponding 20% base pay drop for 3 months.

Personally I see this as a much better (and very forward looking) approach than getting rid of people at a time like this.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Since I might quit soon anyway I thought about asking my managers how they'd feel about dropping down to what they should make, based on performance, to ease the strain on our company's budget. That'll definitely make waves.

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Yeah, its re-assured me that I'm working for a decent company, as much as a large mega corp can be.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I work for a great company (my own), I just officially furloughed myself as my contract ended last week (I refused a PAYE extension on 60% of my previous rate), the government scheme won't give me a lot being a one person limited company but it will help. Good job that I anticipate only working 8 or 9 months or the year when contracting and budget accordingly.

That said, I have a second interview for a perm job later today so we will see how it goes.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2020
    MLyons, IanW, yuusou and 4 others like this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Good luck, presuming you're not interviewing yourself.

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

No :), it's for one of the largest companies in the world, bit of a step up from my one man band.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Don't be so modest :)

16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

[​IMG]

Time for serious tidying at home. Finished and tidied my daughter's PC setup. Familiar stuffs? @Vault-Tec

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nope don't ever remember it looking that tidy lol. Speakers are perfect for that monitor. She'll have a nice pink pair of Beats Studio once this stuff dies down too :D Will match the background perfectly.

Arboreal likes this.
  18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks again, meeting up with anyone seems a long way off right now... @Vault-Tec

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I was contacted today by a company that may or may not be the biggest retailer that's ever existed about possible leadership/management positions at a (for them) new location. Fingers crossed for you today and next week for myself.

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Meh, it'll happen when it happens. It's something to look forward to.