1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Carbon Fibre Molding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by A13n0rma1, 13 Dec 2003.

1. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

I wanna get into using CF in a mod [ or, build rather ].

From what I understand of it, if I had a piece I wanted to mold the shape of, I can spray on wax or something, lay down the CF and pour on the resin?

2. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

3. avsfan733

avsfan733 What's a Dremel?

If you have something the shape you want you have a few options. Basically you ned to make the mould as slippery as possible. What I have done (I do this) is to spray it with a coat of paint and very carefully polish it smooth...if it is already reasonably smooth, you can either wax it really well with two or three thick coats and get it really slippery, or spray it with a mould release compound specifically made for this purpose.

you can then lay the cloth out. Then you either decide to vacum bag or not. If you don't you simply pour the resin on top and then use a plastic spatula to slowly pull the resin outwards starting from the middle and working your way out....make sure to work the resin into the material so you don't get dry or wet spots in your layup, you want the resin level consistent, after the resin has just begun to cure, you can trim the edges using a reazor blade...this method wastes a lot of resin. and is really messy.

The other method is vacum bagging whihc is more expensive and doesn't sound like what you want although it does give you a more efficient more controlled piece

4. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Basically what I'm lookin' for is something to make a copy of an R/C car chassis.

But, after lookin up all the cut-up work and the dangers of dust and all that...

Gah!

I don't have the money either, and I've got to save up for quite a bit anyway, so I may or may not kill it later.

5. avsfan733

avsfan733 What's a Dremel?

all the health risks are overstated, just wear a mask...especially given that cutting the cloth wet is easier its realy not an issue...its also not as expensive as you think you could probably do the chassis for under 200 maybe under 100 dollars depending on the way you did it, menaing number of layers and core and resin types and methods.

6. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Maybe under a 100? :jawdrop:

I was hoping for maybe under 25 when I first started, :lol:

Thread can close, if seen fit.