1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Applied for a job with a company I previously worked for, and just found out they won't consider me for the job because I was previously dismissed due to medical reasons.

Apparently the parent company has a policy that say's they will not consider/hire anyone who has previously been dismissed from the company regardless of the reason.

Very disappointed and annoyed, but spoke to my current manager and requested a salary review since the job I do, if I was at other companies my salary would be up to £10k a year more.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  2. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Not having fast broadband, stuck with regular ADSL for now until there is room on my exchange for Fibre :(

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

My wife, Ann, started complaining this afternoon about a headache and pain behind her eye and it looked 'funny' as the pupil was massively dilated. A quick trip to the Chemist who prescribed antibiotic eye drops seemed to cover the problem however it was still the same a couple of hours later.

After over 90 minutes on the phone to the Doctors I gave up as it was either engaged or just ringing endlessly which is pretty much typical for our Surgery, lockdown or not. I've actually been in Reception with the staff chatting to each other letting the phone ring on and on in the background for up to 30 minutes without bothering to answer. Meanwhile the pain behind her eye gradually got worse.

She decided to go to A&E which was fortunate as it turns out that she has acute glaucoma needing urgent treatment. She was triaged within 20 minutes and the Doctor contacted the eye clinic (which normally closes at 18:00) at around 20:00 just as they were all packing up ready to leave.

The Consultant and 2 Nurses stayed in the clinic (Ann was now the only patient) until 23:20 when they were satisfied the pressure was lessening behind her eye and it was safe for her to go home. However they did book her in for emergency laser surgery tomorrow afternoon. Fortunately despite me being at risk (Emphysema) the staff allowed me to stay with Ann until she was released as there was no one else in the clinic. I won't be allowed to stay with her to offer support tomorrow though.

Apart from feeling nauseous with the various medications she's also bricking it in anticipation of the surgery tomorrow while at the same time being relieved that they're dealing with it so quickly.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I thought it was just my doctors that had people that did that!

Hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

@Big Elf sorry to hear about Ann's troubles but I'm glad she's now getting swift treatment. Hope the op goes well - it is super tough that you won't be able to be with her so I will have my fingers crossed for both of you.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

@Big Elf Fingers crossed that all goes well.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah fingers crossed mate. Good luck.

I've had an annoying few days. I found out a while ago (about a week) that my old landlady had closed her building society account. Which must have caused her massive inconvenience as that was where all her rent is paid. It's also a really dodgy move.

So I had to fork up for the bailiffs. £156, right before I was about to go buy all my Christmas presents ffs. Gonna be a very lean month for sure.

8. Big Elf

Well, she's had the laser treatment in both eyes. The reason for the acute glaucoma is that Ann has narrow anterior angles which she already knew about and apparently the fact that she knew this and told the consultant yesterday speeded up the diagnosis and treatment.

They used lasers going through the iris to punch holes for drainage somewhere in the back of the eye so hopefully this problem won't reoccur.

They told her that typically one person a fortnight passes out during the treatment and Ann was this fortnights winner. Despite that she made her own way home (we're 10 minutes walk from the hospital) rather than phone me to collect her.

While she was waiting for the treatment I had a phone call at home from the eye clinic booking clerk wanting to arrange an appointment for Ann to have the laser surgery and she seemed a bit gobsmacked when I told her not only was Ann in reception but that she'd been prepped ready for the treatment. I reckon the clerk used to work for my Doctors Surgery (see my original post).

IanW, xaser04, Goatee and 5 others like this.
  9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Great news, what a relief. I hope that's it and sorted. Wish her a speedy recovery

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This @Big Elf.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye, similar sentiments @Big Elf

Hozzy visits aren't good at the best of times, right now I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Prepare to be dogsbody, gofer and general all round cheerleader - minus the outfit, well unless that's your thing then treat her to a pom pom display.

perplekks45 likes this.
  12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

A close friend of 15 years has blanked me out of nowhere, blocked on social media, blocked phone, everything. No explanation, no nothing, just not talking to me anymore. I am completely stunned.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2020
  14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

An old friend did that to me, no idea why and, we had known each other since we were little'uns, more than 50 years.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2020
  15. Vault-Tec

Not a real friend then.

16. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I obviously don't know the situation but it could be they're going through a rough patch themselves. I know when my demons get the better of me I shut everyone else out, become unresponsive and withdraw from socials. This year has taken its toll on many so it could be that.

17. Big Elf

Ann has had to go back to A&E. The pain behind her eye and the nausea has returned. Getting worried now.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Bugger. Hope she'll be OK.

19. Vault-Tec

Sorry to hear that dude. I hope she will be fine.

20. Big Elf

Damn, the laser surgery worked in her left eye but not her right so the pressure's built up again. They've just called her back in so I don't know what the next stage is.

Edit: They're trying to reduce the pressure again with medication and it's likely she'll either have another bout of laser surgery (iridotomy) or eye surgery (iridectomy) later tonight.

She's been told that the pain is the third worst level you can have. They won't let me go to the eye clinic yet as there's still other patients in there.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2020