1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News RestoMod PC limited edition launched by Origin PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 14 Dec 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

3. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

It is just so disappointing they didn't use a case with at least one external drive bay. Stickercharging just isn't doing it for me, and for a 50-piece production run you'd think they could go the extra mile.

Also, glass side panel and RGB-all-the-things doesn't exactly go well with traditional beige.

Most importantly... the "dummy plate" under the 3.5" drive! That's COMPLETLY wrong!
    They took the front plate of a 5.25" hard disk, scaled it down, and then slapped it into a 3.5" panel because "the blank slot under the floppy drive has dashes in it", and it ruins the entire image all on its own.
    (There's a few other details that are jarringly wrong, even within the confines of "it's an overglorified sticker", but... they pale next to that 3.5" hard disk face plate, which is just so bizarre I can't rightly explain it.)

If you're gonna try to cash in on nostalgia, at least do it RIGHT.

wyx087 and goldstar0011 like this.
  4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I got excited at the idea, to find a sticker?
    Underwhelming

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

£$%& me, for a limited run of 50, they can't even be arsed to buy a job-lot of 3.5" and 5.25" FDDs and beige-junk cases off eBay and do them up?

I mean, let me dig through my old kit boxes and I'm pretty damned sure I could scrounge up the bits for ten of 'em all by myself! (With the possible exception of 10 5.25" drives - although I know I've got two in storage... somewhere...)

This isn't just underwhelming. This is nostalgia-insanity with a kick in the balls, then when you're squealing a bonus kick in the teeth and wallet.

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

The Cake Is A Lie.

surprised a pre-built PC retailer using stickers would make news here, tbh

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'm pretty sure if I paid £5 to a 6 year old to draw an old timey PC from my description the result would look more accurate.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Call that a restomod?

This is a restomod: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/alfaholics/gta-r-290-2dr/first-drive
    Looks like the original inside and out, sounds like original and feels like the original but, with much improved performance, suspension, steering and brakes.

Taking a modern car, slapping a big sticker on it, an extra window on the side, and a barrage of leds on the inside, just wouldn't cut it.

Many hundreds of dollars for a custom plastic front panel with a big sticker on it, is taking the p#ss.

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

A joke.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So someone got hammered at the Christmas party early.

perplekks45 likes this.
  11. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

old skool

Tags: Add Tags