1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays How to get a clear picture via HDMI

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by maple, 15 Dec 2020.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

I've had this issue for a while now across three graphics cards (460, 670 & 1060) and two TV's (Samsung 720p & Eternity 1080p).

So I have my PC connected to my 1080p TV which has VGA/HDMI, via VGA the image is crystal clear this is how I always connected my 460 or 670 using VGA along with a DVI to VGA adaptor however this adaptor does not work on the 1060 so I am having to resort to HDMI.

Now on the HDMI whether its the 1060 or the other GPUs you can instantly tell it doesn't look right. It's not as clear, also parts of the screen are missing so I have to resize it using nVidia control panel, once resized it comes to 1862x1048, I get the full screen back however it still isn't as clear as on the VGA. The VGA does also allow me to set 1920x1080.

How do I get around this?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What you've got there is an overscan problem. Most TVs default to stretching an image so that the edges are lost, for Historical Reasons. You need to have a look through your TV's menus for a way to turn overscan off: on my Samsung, it's the Picture Size option and choosing "Just Scan".

Turn your TV's overscan off, set your HDMI output to 1080p with no resizing shenanigans, and you'll get a pixel-perfect full-screen picture which should be noticeably sharper than VGA.

Arboreal, goldstar0011 and maple like this.
  3. maple

maple Minimodder

Wow! And just like that it's worked!