1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Mic Sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damien c, 22 Feb 2021.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Ok sort of a strange one here and a long one.

Since it's release I have always had trouble hearing footsteps in PUBG, so bad that I could barely hear them when they were more than 15m away from me.

Sound/PC setup previously was:

Behringer 1204USB Mixer - Connected via USB to 2nd PC with 3.5mm audio connections to main pc
    Neewer NW-70 Pro XLR Mic
    Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm Headphones

The 2nd PC got it's audio in from the USB connection to the Mixer, and had a 3.5mm output to the Mixer.

The main PC had a Creative Audigy RX sound card with the Line In connected to the Mixer and the Line Out had a 3.5mm splitter so it send audio to the Mixer and the 2nd PC's Line In.

I was having issues with that setup with the footstep's as the Creative Software didn't come with an Equalizer.

I found Equalizer APO and PC Equalizer and set about messing around with it, and it worked within reason.

Footsteps could now be heard from around 40m away but the wind/rain/water and weapons now were extremely loud and very very tinny.

In the end I just stopped using Equalizer APO and PC Equalizer because it wasn't worth the hassle as the audio at times would also cut out and crackle etc.

When I got my new desk, I also swapped out the Mixer for a Go XLR Mini which helped to resolve some of the Mic issues I was having with the previous Mixer because I could never get the Noise Gate working fully.

This issue was not present on either the Go XLR Mini or the Behringer Mixer with the previous sound card.

Then about 2 weeks ago I decided to buy a new sound card for my main machine and I bought a Creative Soundblaster Z and it's a much better card but perhaps "to good".

So now the setup is like this:

Go XLR Mini connected to 2nd PC via USB
    Line In and Line Out both connect to Main PC via the new Creative card
    Mic and Headphones have not changed

So the issue :(

When I am playing a game or anything with sound doesn't matter what it is, if I am recording and speaking my mic is picking up the audio coming through my heaphones.

I have tried the following already to resolve this:

1: Tried a closed back set of headphones the HyperX Cloud Gaming headphones.

2: Tried some AKG (from Samsung phone) in ear, ear buds.

3: Tried the Mic that came with the Creative Soundblaster Z, at about 2 feet away from the headphones.

4: Tried a ANT Lion Mod Mic sat on the desk at about 2 feet away.

5: Tried the Logitech Webcam Mic at about 2 feet away.

6: Tried adjusting the Mic Noise Gate on the Go XLR Mini Windows App and in OBS.

7: Tried moving the XLR Mic further away on the arm and it facing multiple directions etc.

8: Tried with Scout Mode in the Creative Software On and Off.

9: Tried messing with the SBX Profile and Equalizer in the Creative Software.

10: Installed "Sound Lock" which has helped but the bar is at 20% and if I lower it anymore the guns sound wierd.

11: Tried lowering the Windows Audio down, but it has to be lowered to "5" from "50" in order to stop the Mic picking up the headphone audio, the problem with that is that I also can barely hear anything with it that low. "50" is the sweet spot between between being to loud or to quiet when playing games.

I want to try and build up my YouTube channel, which I know is going to be difficult but having audio issues like this is really not helping.

I also want to actually start streaming and making some videos for Elite Dangerous again when Odyssey comes out.

So I really want to resolve this.

I spent most of yesterday setting up the Noise Gate on the Go XLR Mini and OBS, so it now doesn't pick up keyboard clicks but it still picks up the Headphone audio when speaking.

I have recorded a "quick" video showing the issue which is below, and it will probably make things clearer than the "Wall Oh Text" above :)

I am not opposed to buying a new Mic, I have been looking at possibly the Shure SMB7, the Rhode Podcast Mic or the Audio-Technica AT2020 and then using them on the arm or a desk mount.

I am also not opposed to buying a new headset because these Beyerdynamic's are alright but if I turn the volume up above 50 on Windows when listening to music they sound like a cheap set of speakers that cannot handle the AMP attached to them.

I am thinking about the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless because I know I can connect them to the Mixer.

I have also included pic's of the Noise Gate settings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any ideas?

Video has messed up on YouTube, I will record it again in a few minutes.

2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Sounds like the same issue I had recently. Everything that came out of my headphones seemed to be "echoed" back through the mic. Headset worked fine on every other pc with no echoing.

Turned out that the front panel output I was using for the headphones was also configured as an input.

Go into Sounds (right click volume in task bar and click sounds). Select your audio device under the playback tab, and click properties. On the levels tab drop any thing that says "in" down to zero. (For me zeroing front green in fixed it).

No clue why M$ decided to bury input level sliders in a playback menu.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Thanks for the reply, but it's not that.

I have just recorded the video again and uploading it to YouTube now, but need to wait for YouTube to process it and then will attach it.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Vid is now at least at 1080p

5. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Have you got the option to try with a dynamic mic? A condenser will do exactly that; condense everything into a tighter audible range. The other option is to bring the mic much closer to you so that you can drop off the gain and would also be better for picking up the tone of your voice.
    I have the same headphones as you but I'm using a Behringer UM2 (previously an Alesis Multimix 8) and would get the same issue if I have the gain up too high on a condenser. A dynamic mic, such as a Behringer XM8500 would be much easier to set up and prevent picking up background noise.

damien c likes this.
  6. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Actually it's an old term for a capacitor. You often choose a condenser to record precisely because it has more dynamic range than most other types of microphone.

I think it's a setting issue, it's not the mic it's the audio routing.

damien c likes this.
  7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Thanks for the replies.

I have ordered a Behringer XM8500 from Amazon, it’s only £15 and will be delivered today so will give it a try and see how it goes.