1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 hash rate halved in launch driver

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Feb 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Yay.. the mid range cards that those of us wanting to have an upgrade from say an Titan xp or a 1080ti can purchase! Thanks Nvidia.. *inserts sarcasm*

Perhaps you could fulfil 3080s to those waiting instead of pumping them in to SIs to sell even though those same SIs have have had the customers money already?

On a more related note... GOOD! At least some gamers will finally start to see a benefit. Now if you could supply cards in a reasonable enough qty to partners to allow for free stock in the channel and price points that better reflect the MSRP that no single vendor has been able to currently stick to.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Yeah this won't help gamers at all. Actually in the long run it will hurt them. This is a money grab by Nvidia plain and simple. They have the audacity to tell us its for OUR benefit. Pffft pull the other one.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Will be funny when the dedicated mining cards launch and they say the exact opposite in their marketing material.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Exactly.

1000 series was heavily mined on and people were recommending buying second hand 1000 over new 2000 series. When current crypto bubble bursts, nVidia hopes to stop people buying cheap GPU's and buy their new Super/Ti or 4000 series instead.

The locked mining cards can only go into landfill, they are intentionally creating e-waste as a corporation.

Finally, there's the little Johnny who have bought a 3060 for his gaming rig. It would have been nice if he can use the GPU to do some mining on the side. Intentionally disabling it is a dick move. But then, this move isn't a first from nVidia.

So, in summary, it's a slap to all gamers, the environment. Overriding the lock will probably be super easy, barely an inconvenience to miners. The move is nothing more than a profit making scheme for themselves.

If this continues for their future gaming cards, I will NOT be buying any GPU that has mining capability handicapped. I'll be with my wallet.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's clear what their intentions are.

Basically for a while you could use a mining GPU to game on by sending the video through your onboard and out of the HDMI socket. Nvidia have blocked it. Meaning all of those cards are now headed for the landfill, with absolutely no other use whatsoever.

All this is is a way for them to offload cheap GPUs for more dollars.

wyx087 likes this.
  8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I didn't even realise this was still a thing outside of those big server farm industrial efforts.

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I can't say I'm not conflicted by this so a little backstory is in order.

I bought a 1080Ti way back in August 2017. I started mining Ethereum as a hobby, mostly overnight. From late 2018 to the last big drop then picked it back up late again in mid 2020. It's still used to this day in my daily rig, mining at a low-ish intensity while I'm WFH rdp'ing to my work laptop. It's paid for itself, paid for a Logitech G27, swapped for some ETH for BTC and a little BCH. I'm still sat on a tidy little crypto portfolio holding.

I think it's a total dick move on Nvidia's part, if they truely wanted to make sure there were enough cards to go around, they would have gimped the hashrate of the whole of the 3xxx series. They already have the workstation sector with Quadro RTX and AI/ML market sewn up. CMP cards represent another revenue stream and a market to pander to. They're as greedy as the likes of Bitmain, essentially Nvidia are now in the ASIC business.

In regards to the CMP cards going to landfill once ETH goes Proof of Stake, or DAG file exceeds available GPU memory which or ever comes first, can they still be used for folding@home or SETI?

Tags: Add Tags