1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Easy-to-handle material for shrouding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Omnislip, 8 Apr 2021.

1. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Hi everyone,

My PC at the moment looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/ynvkPy3, with the fans pushing air out of the bottom

I'd like to build some sort of shroud that comes from the fans, up around the sides of the GPU - helping to ensure that all the air that the fans are pumping out is pulled through the heatsink of the GPU.

I had thought of 3D-printing something, but I don't really have the skill with the CAD tools, nor the time or inclination to learn at the moment.

Can anyone recommend me some sort of sheet material that is soft enough to be relatively easy to handle, but hard enough to not flap around, and not too ugly? I had thought of a thick piece of cardboard or some thin perspex sheeting, but perhaps I'm forgetting something? I'd love a recommendation.

Note that I live in a flat (so few tools) any my DIY skills are *very much* minimal compared to the modding crowd on here! Bending hard plastic with a heat gun, for example, is probably a bit too much. So please keep it simple for little old me ;)

Thanks for the help!

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Thin sheet of aluminium?

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Yup, aluminium is very easy to handle and will bend into place. The little piece you shape over your nose on face masks is about 0.5mm. A small sheet of around that thickness would be easy to shape and could be cut with some light snips.
    I use it to mould around curves and then trace them for design work.

4. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Thanks both - I'll give this a go! Do you have a favourite supplier for this sort of thing?

Last edited: 9 Apr 2021
  5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I get mine from random eBay sellers, usually the cheapest.

One thing to mention though is that most of them don't give a s*** and even though the sheet will be 'protected' on at least one side they could well be badly scratched even with protection so need a lot of work to polish them out.

You can contact the seller stating you want the sheet to be unmarked on at least one side and some will make an effort, some won't (and get negative feedback from me if I've specifically requested it).

Omnislip likes this.