1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Scan 3XS overclocked i9

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IamJudd, 14 Apr 2021.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

So, finally, I have literally just taken delivery of my new PC from Scan. I’m so excited I had to grab my iPad and do my morning ablutions whilst catching up on BitTech!

Anyway, reason for the post is - I received a couple of emails and a telephone call from Scan stating that, as I bought the overclocking option (I didn’t or wasn’t aware I did), they were having issues with getting the i9 to 5.1ghz using at least two to three different processors and would I settle for 5ghz instead.

Has anyone else had issues or is this just a bad batch of i9s that I have to settle? I mean, I’m not too fussed about that 0.1 difference but should I be worried about the integrity of the CPU or just relax knowing that if there is an issue then the overclocking service is covered as part of Scans warranty?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Presumably they are giving you a discount for not being able to keep their end of the deal? If you're paying them for an overclock and they can't deliver then I'd be asking for money off.

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Looks like you'll have to settle for the slower speed - although I'd be asking for a partial refund

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

They sent the boxes for the motherboard and the cpu but didn’t send the evga 3080 box...

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

So contact them and ask for it (if you need it).

6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Have done and they are sending it but the guy I spoke to before I got through to a helpful bod said that they didn’t send them out because some people would resell them which I thought was mental! I’ve paid nearly 2.7k on a pc, I want my cardboard boxes lol!

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That sounds like bollocks :D It's yours to do with however you please and Scan can get lost!

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

They needed to be up front about it, but I don't think them not sending the box with pre-made system as a way of hindering scalpers is that far fetched a reason. Even with a system that price, stripping the GPU out of it and selling it as new in box is probably potentially profitable, albeit morally questionable (ymmv).

IamJudd and Bloody_Pete like this.
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Looks like the OC stuff is free (I just double checked), so you didn't really lose anything, you just didn't get anything bomus either!

IamJudd likes this.
  11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

GPU and Mobo boxes are generally not shrink wrapped in the factory, so that is normal.

As for the OC, that is unfortunately jut luck of the draw (doesn't influence operation at lower speeds though, so not that much of a problem).

IamJudd likes this.
  12. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Yeah, I didn't think it was something I specced up at the time so no loss really... it just slowed delivery by an extra day.

I was just wondering whether there would be an issue with the CPU because of the over-clocking limitation.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Nopes, it'll still self OC to 5GHz ish but only on a few cores in bursts, thats what they're designed to do, you just won't get 5GHz all cores all of the time basically. Still all within spec :)

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Also you might still be able to get 5.1ghz anyway...

I don't know how hard Scan tried but: There might be some extra tricks you can try (disable iGPU, AVX offset etc).