Storage MVNE drive recommendations please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MSHunter, 25 May 2021.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I had to buy a prebuild to obtain a new GPU their prices where high so I am looking for a 2TB SSD
    that would be ok under a hot Palit 3080rtx. The closer to £200 the better. MB is AUSUS Prime, I need to check I think it has a second MVNE slot but I don't know if I can boot from it.

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

£230 Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 R/W 3200/2900MB/s is my current idea but don't have any data on thermals.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You might just have to suck it and see, I have had NVMe under GPUs and it was rarely an issue in normal use, only in long sustained transfer, if you regularly copy hundreds of Gb of Video data to and from or thousands of small files then you might have to think about it.

When doing these sorts of transfers even when they are not under GPUs they can throttle, but it reduces speed from being 14x faster than a typical SSD to being 5-7x faster than a normal SSD, you’d be unlikely to notice.

So long as they are not running at thermal limit all the time due to GPU it’ll be fine, so monitor it with HWinfo, get to know it and that’ll put you mind at ease.

Depending on motherboard you might be able to run an x16 GPU in a different slot but it would be worth checking what the second NVMe slot can do.

Also there is the option of popping it in an x4 slot on the motherboard with a PCIe adaptor but as mentioned I don’t think you’ll have to go that far and it’ll be fine.

MSHunter likes this.
  4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've had a drive under the GPU, it would go up to 65c when 2080ti GPU is under load. I'm not comfortable with that temperature when datasheet says 70c is its max operating temperature, so I used a M.2 riser to bring it out from under the GPU.

As said, monitor the temperature and relocate if necessary. These new 3000 series cards run pretty cool with giant coolers, so heat will be less intense and may be more evenly distributed (meaning less hot air blown across the drive)

MSHunter likes this.
  5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Thanks guys, I ended up getting a Corsair MP400 as it had slightly better tested speed results and more reviews. Also turned out the MVN slot on my motherboard is right above the GPU and seems to be doing alright.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you might have 2 nvme slots, if not and you want a second drive, i can recommend a Kryo M.2 Evo ; basically a huge heatsink on a pcie adapter.