1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I turned down a Job I was successful for!

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr Happy, 27 May 2021.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

So I recently applied for the position of a Prison drug dog handler at my establishment. I was the successful candidate for the position, but below is what the company stated on the advert for the position

• You will be expected to sign onto (company name) terms and conditions. (as every advert does)
    Now I transferred from the Prison Service to the private company (TUPE) and so I kept my pay/ pension / sick and leave. This is by far way better than the private company offer.

This company has an in house track record or offering different job roles to Prison service staff, and allowing them to keep all of their T&Cs.

I have been given the option of either signing across my T&Cs, or not having the job! I only applied knowing that close friends have applied for job roles with the same criteria, and they have kept T&Cs.

I find it very petty of management to do this. But I do not think I have an argument at all.

I am not sure if I am ranting, asking for help, or simply clearing my head. And I apologise if my grammar has went out the window, but I typed this at 150MPH full of frustration

GRRRRrrr

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

#I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, but I have 2cents.

I guess the only thing you can do is send an email over to the hiring person's boss (or their bosses boss if you can find them) asking if the offer given to you was company policy and if this is a new policy since other hires got better offers. Make it clear that you only turned down the job because of this discrepancy and that you would love to take the job if it were to be sorted out.

Whether it will get you anything, probably not, but a polite email costs nothing.

Also, sorry to hear that dude, it really sucks to get derailed by some arsewipe in HR.

Mr Happy likes this.
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thank you for the reply :thumb:

The problem with my company is that all of the senior management personally know each other, and most managed to gain their own job role with the term "not what you know, but who you know"
    So, you might already get the picture that the HR boss is very good friends with the manager running the Establishment! And the HR boss is not making the decision on who gets the job :worried:

4. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Dont bother trying then, not trying gets you far

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Don't know why, but posts like this make me dislike what Bit is becoming. I get your sentiment, but there's nice ways to say things and there's the other way. You chose the other way

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Well said. I find the barely-suppressed undercurrent of misanthropy on here combined with a general lack of empathy is just really unpleasant. This just isn't a nice place to visit a lot of the time.

@Mr Happy , unfortunately I don't think you have a great deal of recourse here. By taking this job you are accepting a new contract and if the T&Cs are worse than your current ones then there's not much you can do other than attempt a negotiation, although as an internal candidate (assuming I reading your post correctly) you aren't really in a strong bargaining position. I do think it's pretty poor form for them to change those terms but I can't see there being much grounds to argue against it. I'm no lawyer, though.

If you know that other people have been able to retain their superior terms on changing roles then I would definitely bring that up, though.

Mr Happy likes this.
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This is a very familiar-sounding situation...

Many years ago back when I worked at That Bank we went through a very public acquisition of Other Bank when the **** hit the fan with the banks (Other Bank had an extremely large exposure to the Global Economic Shitstorm and if That Bank hadn't stepped in it's likely that Other Bank would be quite different today, if it had even survived...). Part of that whole acquisition process was a change to everyone's contracts. You had the choice to stay on Other Bank's old contract, as opposed to signing Newly-Merged Bank's contract, but it was basically a Hobson's Choice. Staying on the old contract meant that you could not take any other role without signing the new terms; you were no longer eligible for performance-based pay rises, only cost of living increases; you did not get the new bonus offered under the new contract; and some of the benefits basically stopped completely. But... you kept the old pension terms, which were far more generous.

I wasn't really that bothered at the time. Retirement was so far away, and I wanted the bonus. It also meant that if I didn't sign it then I would have been stuck in a crappy low-level job, so I just signed it as soon as I could. Plenty of people kept the old contract and personally I thought they were mad for doing so. 12 years later I probably wouldn't be quite so hasty about it.

It's a crappy situation to be stuck in and I hope you're able to negotiate something.

Mr Happy likes this.
  9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks Byron,

If I took any other Job role in my company, I would be at a disadvantage, as every single part of new staff T&Cs is worth less than mine. So, the way I see it is that Any future promotion is simply not worth it?

The way I see it. They agree to pay my same wage to look after and work their dogs (including taking them home) or they pay me the same and I wear trainers / shorts and use the gym when I am at work :grin:

10. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

It happens and I wouldn't feel bad about it.

About 2 years back on a whim (well a big prod from my ex boss) I applied for a Head of IT role. Went in for my interview which went pretty well. Package was better than I was on but I found that they were supporting more users, more geopolitical troublesome locations with less than half the budget I currently manage. I was also going through lots of personal issues at the time too

They called back a few hours later and offered me the role. I turned it down a week later, they called back and offered me more money, another 20%. I still turned them down.

If I had been at a different point in my life I might have said yes and I do wonder where I would be today if I had said yes. But I don't beat myself up over it.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I would try to negotiate it personally. Its worth a try. I moved from in-house freelance to employed with my company and basically went through the contract pointing out the bits I didn't like and asking for revisions. At the end of the day they want you to work in that role so there will always be some wiggle room. And if it turns out its a sign of a change in company policy that a good red flag to tell your co-workers, as they may start implimenting fire-rehire next...

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You did the smart thing.
    I took a promotion I shouldn't have because I was younger and stupider.
    Poisoned chalice much as you describe. The worst bit is I even saw all the signs there but was largely blinded because promotions are what you're supposed to chase in a job right?
    I left the company a year later and detested the job more and more every day up to that point.

13. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Life's funny, my current place has been a mess but it's a known quantity. I applied for head of Tech here 11 interviewers later and weird shenanigans where I was also interviewing external candidates for the role I got it interim. Then while interim I was asked to interview another external candidate who got offered the job (against my feedback) who made an absolute mess of our function. Eventually she got fired (took 3 years) after just not bothering to turn up to any senior team meetings ( I suddenly found myself invited to represent Tech).

Luckily my old boss from previous place came in and is now Head of Tech and things are going smooth (I didn't even try for it here, just not worth it).

It's been messy, painful and I have retained a lot of the responsibility that I had when I led the team (my boss has to still ask my permission to spend on the Tech budget!). At first I used to get stressed about it but as time has gone on I have learned to not lose sleep over such things. If I had bothered to take over the family business I would have been in a position to retire within a couple years (sub 45), again wasn't for me.

I'm still here because I believe I'm the work that we do do and the positive impact that we have in children's lives.