1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Etching and Lighting 1/8" Acrylic

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GrEmLiN-X, 18 Dec 2003.

1. GrEmLiN-X

GrEmLiN-X What's a Dremel?

I am soon going to construct an acrylic case and was curious about how I would go about etching complex designs into the thin 1/8" acrylic. I was thinking etching compound over dremel, as I'd like to outline the design in black pinstriping tape, and light it from the side. I'd also like a little bit of advice on lighting it from the side, as 1/8" is thin and LEDs don't exactly fit inside it, but I wanna try to avoid the light shooting out all over the place, as well as avoid seeing foil all over. Please help!

2. kong

kong cnc-guy

A suggestion for the leds would be to make some sort of shroud, which will direct the light onto the plexi edges, but keep it from shooting elsewhere. Depending on how neat you want it to be, you use anything from black tape to aluminium tubing. Also, you can get leds with a very narrow beam which may help. Good luck!

3. Zorro

Zorro What's a Dremel?

Have you thought about neon string?

I've tested it on some plexi I have (I use the string to light my radio control boats - racing at night is cool) and I think it gives a more even light than LEDs (its smooth rather than having brightspots).

It is also pretty thin and can be taped on all sides of the plexi to ensure that the design is well lit.

The main disadvantage is that it isn't as bright as LEDs (hence why its best to tape it all around).

tekheads do it fairly cheaply..

Just a thought.

Z.

4. GrEmLiN-X

GrEmLiN-X What's a Dremel?

Being a completely clear case (much like linears, but in no way was it based on his design as I have had my sketches etc before I even saw his, but props still go out for a job WELL done!) I dont want those shiny aluminum foil like edges.. and I'm probably already stuck with somewhat scuffed edges, the guy who sent me the acrylic said it would be flamed and smoothed out.. you can still see the saw marks in it. :rolleyes: neon string and LEDs.. i dunno.. shroud was what I was thinking, and bright LEDs and be put where I want and controlled how I like.. possibility. I dunno, such a complex etch, dont know if ill do it, wouldnt know where to begin. I'll thikn it over I guess. For now I need to finish the last few parts of my design as the design keeps changing to incorperate new ideas etc.. yeah. LOL. Thanks guys.

5. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

A little bit of sandpaper will clear those cut marks right out. Use a low grade (200 or so) until you get a smooth surface then use a much finer (1000 grit or so) to get the shiny edge you want.