1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyboard typing multiple characters

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ElThomsono, 29 Jul 2021.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

This is comically frustrating by the way!

I've not used my keyboard for a couple of months because I had a new laptop, I've finally got it set up and whenever I use the USB keyboard it types multiple of each key, for example:

tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssstttttttttt

Pretty annoying, huh? It's an Asus ROG Claymore, there don't seem to be official drivers for it, but I've installed the Armory Crate utilities and can change the RGB etc. but not fix this. I've tried it on another laptop but it's the same, neither laptop has seen the keyboard before.

In the interest of full disclosure, a child had access to it for a couple of weeks so there is a slim chance it has been damaged, but this seems unlikely due to the nature of the fault?

Any ideas where to start? Troubleshooters throw nothing up and device manager reckons it's ok.

[​IMG]

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dollars to doughnuts it's had a sticky drink spilled in it. Rip off a few keycaps and look for the tell-tale residue.

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Would it do that, on all keys? Seems odd to me?

Also, do you reckon a good clean with isopropyl would sort it?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've seen it before, though granted on considerably simpler keyboards.
    We just used to throw 'em in the office dishwasher then dry 'em out. Isoprop would work, though - maybe some contact cleaner to finish.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Sticky residue confirmed, child due in for questioning.

Unfortunately, this board has the keys soldered so I can't access the top side of the PCB. I'll see what I can pinch from the electronics lab at work, they might have some aerosols?

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Just given me an idea to stick my lads failing Thermaltake board in the in laws dishwasher next time i go down.

Its malfunctioning anyway and has been in a cupboard since he got a K70 so who cares if the dishwasher kills it off completely

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I have washed keyboards off in the shower and, then put them outside to warm-up and dry in the sun. Works perfectly.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Make sure you set it to a cold wash, or it'll get hot enough to warp the plastic.

9. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I'm just after binning a keyboard that was doing this, damn i knew i should have asked! XD

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Has anyone ever put a mechanical keyboard in a dishwasher? Those keys are like a labyrinth, I don't know how easy they'll be to dry.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Good advice thank you :)

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Well it's in there now, 50 (can't do the degree symbol easily without a keyboard) wash, no soap.

I left a few mugs and knives in there for company, don't want it getting scared.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

You shouldn't do it but if it's a last ditch effort you can put it in an dishwasher without any salts if at all possible. Once you've done with that, give it a dunk is some alcohol that you use to wipe and leave it to dry off. A blast with some compressed air and another 24hr period facedown on some rice and you should be fine.

If a razer huntsman elite can survive that then I would hope this could.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

These MX blues are gonna take forever to dry out. Let's hope we get some strong sunlight soon.

15. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

So... How did it go *inserts popcorn emote*

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Gonna give it a week, those keys really retain moisture. I've got it in the windowsill but might see about rigging a fan as well?

Arboreal likes this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Rinse it with some isoprop, that'll speed things up.

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Aye but it's not cheap and I'd need a fair bit; it's already clear of any visible moisture, I'm sure a week is more than sufficient.

In the meantime, I have a dreadful rubber dome keyboard to use.

19. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Face down on a bid of rice and some jets if compressed air for peace of mind and your golden.

20. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

Wrap it in a towel and leave it in the airing cupboard.