1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Need advice for laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 12 Sep 2021.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Budget (including currency): Flexible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Work and photoediting

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Great screen, small size and good battery life

So let me fast tell you a little about myself, I work in finance by day, graphic designer in the evening and gamer at night - that pretty much sums it up.
    I need a new laptop, not really for gaming, but I might use it for streaming games in my home from my actual gaming PC to the laptop.

My main concerns is I want one that is small, with a great screen, not totally underpowered as I only buy a new laptop every 4-5 years, good battery life.

I'm eyeballing 2 very different approaches here and have a hard time to choose between them:

Acer Swift 3
    1135G7
    Iris XE graphics
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD
    14" fullHD screen
    100% sRGB coverage

or

Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    4600HS
    1650ti graphics
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD
    14" fullHD 120hz panel
    100% sRGB

The Acer cost ½ of the Asus around here, but the Asus look damn good, but I cant really see what is it exactly I get for the 50% more in price with the usecase I have or will the Swift not let me down?

I dont really consider anything else, because those two machines fit all the boxes of what I want, now I just need to choose

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

id say get see if you one with 20/3060 rather than 1650 gpu if it works out within your budget , will l possibly be better gaming wise in the long run

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Yeah I know... But the price difference here is pretty steep for graphics alone, and I dont really need that as I will most likely not game on the machine locally, but use a cloud/inhome streaming solution instead.
    I much rather have better battery life and less heat/noise, so thats why I look for the lower specked models - but you got a point if it was for actual gaming

4. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

actually... just found out...

I can get a Acer Swift X with a 3050ti and a 5800u for somewhere in between the asus and the other acer, its still quite a price bump from the Swift 3, and im very unsure if it for my use case would make any sense?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If the use of a thunderbolt dock for multiple displays etc might be of interest, then the cheaper Intel has an advantage but gaming wise an Intel chip is no really good enough, fine for streaming though.

Does any of your software have specific CPU/GPU optimisations, might make the difference.

6. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Actually... Thats a good point, I have a handfull of stuff that uses USB-C and might consider having some thunderbolt things if I had the port, don't really need the GPU to be honest, would just be a futureproof thing.
    I just found out the Swift 3 comes in a variant with 1165G7, one of the "intel evo" models, not a swift x, so it almost cost the same as the i5 variant.

I might go for that, cheap and kinda powerful for the price seem to be what im aiming at, unless something else comes up

7. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I might have found something VERY interesting! AMD...

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro with 5800H, 16GB RAM, 512 GB nvme - even have a 2.8k OLED 90Hz display from Samsung

I mean, I am a content creator so in that regard this sounds pretty amazing!

The only "issue" is its actually pretty hard to find a review of as far as i can tell, so have no idea if its real world good or just good on paper hmmm

8. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Well, I found some few YT videos about this machine, but not really any with this specific config. So I have no idea what I just ordered, because yes, it sounds to me like a pretty good deal so I ordered it...

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

10. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Yes, but if you look closely, the models they mention are the IPS versions, there is a 60 and a 90Hz IPS, OLED model came little later, they mention 5600H and 5900H, one of them with discrete graphics - they dont mention the odd combo I've ordered, like I said, its super difficult finding someone with the model with OLED and a 5800H, its like the model dont excist, so lets see what I get in a few days