Tv audio issues help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SnakePlissken, 26 Nov 2021.

1. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    I randomly started getting a high pitched buzzing sound from my middle speaker on my 5.1 setup. I originally though my receiver was broken but switched it off and the same happens with my tv speakers. I then unplugged everything from near sockets and plugged tv into different socket using isolator plug and still the same problem. I'm using the sony x900h and sony str-dn1080. I tried muting audio when playing movies too to see if I could hear any static sounds but nothing. It's just when playing audio and only seems to happen with a certain pitch like voices. Does anyone know how I can sort this? I'll show a video I recorded below as an example. You can hear the high pitched noise on both tv and sound system.

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Logically it must be an issue with the TV. Have you tried playing with the TV sound settings to see if anything helps? ...Although the reciever output should bypass most of them.

3. SnakePlissken

Yeah I've literally tried everything from unplugging hdmi cables to factory resetting it. Still the same problem. Yeah it seems to be echoing through all my receiver speakers too.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2021
  4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Maybe the tv is just 'broke'

5. SnakePlissken

Thanks that helps a lot.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

To be fair that doesn't seem like an unreasonable conclusion. The source seems to be the TV and it's happen both when it is outputting sound to external and its own internal speakers, and after all the trouble shooting steps you've already taken.

I'm assuming it doesn't happen when the STR-DN1080 is playing from other sources? (it would not make much sense if it did)
    Have you tried the a different audio output from the TV, i.e. optical/coax if using ARC or vice versa? Also does the issue still occur using something other than the smart functions of the TV?

SuperHans123 likes this.
  7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Looks like you're using HDMI ARC, have you tried SPDIF or just plain RCA jacks? Also check the TV menus, as you can often select PCM, DD or DTS sound options on the audio output.