1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Hyper x cloud 2 inline usb issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 13 Mar 2022.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My son had ingrowing toenail surgery a while back and had to bath his foot in heavily salted water.

While bathing his foot at his computer desk he accidentally dunked his Cloud 2 usb sound card thinga majig into the bowl and it stopped working.

He uses Voip a lot more than me so I have given him mine for now and I use my phone and headset for discord when I'm playing BF2042 and jack box ect.

I bought the following

Headset Splitter for PC 3.5mm Splitter 【1 M】Female to 2 Male Audio Splitter CTIA Standard Microphone Headphone Splitter for PC Laptop Desktop Gaming Headset : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

To plug into my front audio ports.

Mic picks up okay but my son says i sound a little scratchy but the headphone out side only works properly if you don't push the jack in fully, i tried listening to a song on you tube and comically you could only hear the backing track but not the actual singing.

Is this cable knackered or just not suitable, I'm half tempted to just buy myself a new headset to be honest.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2022
  2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'm not 100% sure but I may have a spare USB sound card connector from a set of those headphones. It'll be tomorrow at the earliest before I can check though. My wife uses them on a TV so wouldn't need the USB thing but I can't remember which model they are but am fairly certain they were Cloud II.

EDIT: Does the USB sound card look like the 1st image in this link?

EDIT2: I should also have a spare microphone as well.

When it comes to headphones though the slightest excuse is all that's needed to buy a new pair. I have loads.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2022
  3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yes thats the puppy.

4. Big Elf

OK, I'll let you know when I find it.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thanks mate much appreciated

6. Big Elf

Found it, PM me your details

adidan, CrapBag and Arboreal like this.
  7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That's good news, really good of you @Big Elf .

I know that the USB cable / DAC is available separately (at some cost...) as a spare from HyperX.
    One of the LAN guys has a Cloud 2 set which his dog chewed the USB cable and wrecked it, fortunately he was able to source one online.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Duff front connectors maybe?

9. Big Elf

Posted it.
    It could well be a 4 pole connector plugged into a 3 pole socket or vice versa. I've had that problem with TV Headphone socket extension cables.

loftie likes this.
  10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I think thats the case to be honest.

Many thanks to you for sorting me out FOC, very much appreciated.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Turned up this morning thank you again.

Unfortunately I hooked it up and discord will output system sounds to it but not voice which is odd but i have had this issue before and fixed it.

Tried it with the You tube song video as i did with the amazon adaptor and it sounds exactly the same so I'm starting to think the headset has failed also, tried it on my wife's pc to rule out problems with my pc and again it does the same thing.

Going to plug it into my phone again and see what that does.

Edit.. does the same thing with my phone and oddly if I pull the mic out from the headset I lose sound completely.

The headset was working fine in my phone before I bought the Amazon adaptor, that couldn't have killed them could it?

Last edited: 15 Mar 2022
  12. Big Elf

I think you may have to take them apart for a bit of soldering. I've just remembered the first pair of these I had albeit the first version had the one of the incredibly thin internal wires break at the solder point but prior to that the sound had been iffy and intermittent. It's a few years since I took them apart but it was very easy as the cups are screwed on.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I took an original cloud set apart and replaced the wire making them into just headphones for my daughter to use with her phones and indeed the wires were pathetically thin and awful to solder.