1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Windows 11 doesn't have a never combine taskbar buttons option, so now all my open windows are now squeezed together in the middle/corner of the task bar and grouped into few buttons according to app. Requiring two clicks and two separate mouse movements to restore, while neatly removing any at a glance information about what I have open. Still, it's nice to have about a metre of totally unused "task"bar I suppose...

I'm honestly not a fan of modding a new OS out of the box to conform to what I'm used to, but I really don't get this from a productivity pov.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2022
  2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Got an appointment for the surgical extraction of a wisdom tooth. Got a letter from another surgery after a referral from my regular surgery (still no idea why they can't do it, my regular dentist is also a dental surgeon, they are an NHS practice and I am registered as an NHS patient with them, but hey) last night so called them this morning about 10am. Can I go in at 9am tomorrow? Eeep, sure... I guess...

Can't say that I am looking forward to this at all. I have had one tooth out before, but that was an infected pre-molar and it just popped out with almost no effort, this is a wisdom tooth that looks like it might have deeper damage and is sitting right on top of a large set of nerves...

Thankfully, the current pain is not too much as I think the antibiotics have done a pretty good job of nuking that. However, the constant dull pain and the side effects of a week's worth of 500mg amoxicillin 3 times a day has just left me proper drained. I have been eating fine, but I don't think that I have been getting a lot out of the food.

Thankfully the surgery is only down the road and round the corner, closer in fact than my usual surgery and easier to get to and park. My wife shall be driving me home, she has managed to get the day off, something that shall be much needed as I will be taking any and all sedation and anesthetic that they offer me. Normally medical/dental stuff doesn't bother me too much, but pain does and especially pain in my head parts... Little apprehensive to say the least.

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

They've played a blinder there, not having to wait days / weeks / months fretting and getting yourself worked up over it.
    And on a Thursday too, which is almost Friday, so you'll not feel too bad pulling a duvet day or 2 before the weekend

4. Almightyrastus

Oh I am (kinda) planning on it...

5. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

after 2 or so years, I've finally got the dreaded 'rona, not fun

6. Almightyrastus

I'm still wondering how my wife and I have not caught it yet. We are both immune-compromised. We both have T2 diabetes and she also has Hashimoto's.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Having only caught it 3 weeks go, I felt the same. I thought we were at risk when we went to my daughter's stage show 3 days running, and where my wife was chaperoning youngsters.
    I am hearing from so may people who have been OK for 2 years, and suddenly have contracted the virus.

Thankfully, we were both only mildly ill for a few days (hot/cold and fluey for 48 hours, and a really bad sore throat with cough), but surprised how long the viral fatigue took to shake off.

At the same time, our daughter had Tonsillitis during the show and managed to perform including singing for 3 days and then collapsed in bed for a week.
    The worst bit was the fact that she was also suffering from glandular fever, which was only picked up when she was hospitalised after not being able to drink or take tablets about a week or so in.
    She had to go in overnight twice as she stopped drinking again, and thankfully a drip and introvenous meds have improved things. She was able to eat/drink and take tablets the day after the second hospital trip.

3 people taking paracetamol eats up your supplies and as you can only buy 2 boxes at a time; we had to have a delivery from a friend, as we couldn't even go to the pharmacy as we were isolating.

@Auxilliary, I hope you're not hit hard and recover quickly.
    Lots of fluid, paracetamol and rest help.

8. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

thankfully at worst it feels like a heavy head cold currently, i'm on day 2 since testing positive and currently i've only got a mild cough and but no sore throat or anything, annoying thing is I can't stop sneezing instead

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I bleedin' wish

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Take it easy and look after yourself. Even if it only feels mild it can sneak up on you in unexpected ways.

Arboreal and Auxilliary like this.
  11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Feel for you there chap. I'm guessing it will be under general anaesthetic? Waking up to a mouth of blood is no fun but it doesn't take long to be back to normal.

12. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Wife has just had a small crash in her car.
    She swerved out the way of a lorry who decided to be on the wrong side of the road and hit the kerb at an odd angle. Front passenger tyre pressure sensor went off immediately and then she phoned me in tears because she couldn't find the hazard switch. Got her on to a video call so we could look for the switch, then she got out the car to look at the tyre. Nasty gouge in the sidewall and a small chunk missing from the alloy.
    Luckily she was only 1-2 miles from her parents house so, she phoned her dad to come have a look. Between them they got it onto a side street and looked at fixing. Modern car so no spare, only tyre goo. Doesn't work. Called tow truck who can't make it until about 1 this afternoon. She is now sat at her parents quite shook up fretting about the cost.

13. Almightyrastus

All done now, was in and out in about 20 minutes. 3 local anaesthetic jabs (big ones - 1 in the main nerve going to the lower jaw and another next to the tooth, plus another part way through). Took a lot of levering to free the tooth up, but then it just popped out with minimal pulling. Got a seriously wooly head now though, and the numbing is wearing off so getting a bit of pain coming through. Got plenty of pain meds lined up, something that we are not short of in this house. I take a pretty potent anti inflammatory for my back anyway (500mg Naproxan) so that will help.

Not planning on doing much of anything for the rest of the day and will see what things are feeling like tomorrow...

kenco_uk, IanW, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  14. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Naproxen was quite (better than owt else I had) helpful when I had my wisdom tooth out, co-codamol seemed to shrug it's shoulders and say "nah man, not my thing".

Don't go poking about in the hole with your tongue (oor err missus)

Almightyrastus likes this.
  15. Arboreal

That's a relief @Almightyrastus, glad to hear it was quick and straightforward.
    Take it easy, and heal fast

Almightyrastus likes this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Speaking of the 'vid, my eldest was on a school trip to the Alhambra to see The Lion King last night. Got a lift there and back with a friend... who's tested positive this morning.

As a result, we've had to cancel a planned visit from my mum, ahead of her birthday in a week's time, we'd booked in for Saturday - which would have been the first time she'd seen me or the kids in over two years. Nuts.

Oh, and from tomorrow you can't get free LFTs or book a PCR unless you work for the NHS. *And* kids still aren't eligible for vaccination yet. Amaze.

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Actually not strictly correct (if I'm reading right), not all NHS staff, my partner works for the NHS and free LFTs end for her. Not sure the standing on PCR.

Talking of which I see the Government did almost a P&O and gave some test centre workers 4 days notice that they need to find a new job.

Effin stupid.

No free tests and no SSP for isolation means that people will be going to work and passing it around.

Edit: Sorry mate, I was supposed to start that with a oh FFS - thats awful. Bet she can't wait to see the kids (and you too of course). Sorry, been one of those mornings.

18. Arboreal

Oh Budgerigar... Somebody's law at work there GH.
    Sorry to hear that, what a family sadness :wallbash:

I still can't get my head round dropping the whole infrastructure like that, not even based on scientific recommendations from what I can see.

We did order some LFTs while we could, who knows where the damn thin is going? Other than UP that is.

The local infection rate according to Zoe (supposedly 10 days ahead of gov figures) is rocketing up to higher than ever.

Looks like they've chosen the cliff edge herd immunity option.

I've been listening to 'When the Dust Settles' by Prof Lucy Easthope, Disaster planner and recovery expert on R4 in the morning.
    She was on Woman's Hour yesterday, and what she said about the gov and Covid was truly shocking, but not a surprise...
    They ran down the PPE stockpile from 2017 and were deaf to what she and her colleagues had to say about a coming pandemic. They had trained and planned for 'flu, Corona and even Ebola!
    Gov said they didn't have the capacity to plan for both Brexit and a Pandemic!

adidan likes this.
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

According to The Horse's Arse Mouth:

So NHSers still get a free test if they've symptoms, but otherwise only during "periods of high prevalence." Which we'll know we're in because of all the testing we're... hang on, I may have spotted a flaw here.
    Yeah, we've got some on standby - plus there's a company doing 'em for a quid (plus VAT) apiece, which ain't terrible. Adds up, though, if you want to do daily testing on a family of four...

adidan likes this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Thanks for that, I think I had a derrière/boobage moment because she gets them free to test twice weekly. I guess they don't get them just in a preventative capacity from tomorrow.

Although if you're symptomatic you should be getting a PCR no?

FFS it's doing my head in.

I wonder how many families working all hours, dropping into food banks, deciding whether to heat or eat will put away money for COVID tests that if they isolate get no pay from work and no SSP?

Can't see anything wrong with that policy.

Edit: You're quite correct @Gareth Halfacree - just checked with the OH and they can use the portal to still order some. Something at least. One of those days for me, be glad when this week is over.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2022