1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Piñasphere

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jean R built, 5 May 2022.

1. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

My third scratch build is fully 3D printed, and this time I'll drop the Presentation video before talking about the rest but don't worry I'll explain everything

[​IMG]

Specs:

Mobo: Asrock Deskmini X300M-STX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G

CPU Cooler: AIO Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2

Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM

RAM: Corsair vengeance SoDIMM 2x8Gb@3200

1st SSD: Samsung 980 M.2 1Tb

2nd SSD: Samsung 860EVO 2.5" 250 Gb

WiFi: Intel WiFi 6 AX200

I wanted the design to look good in both cases open air or enclosed.

As Closed design it looks like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As Open Air design it looks like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The "Back" I/O Panel:

[​IMG]

"Front" I/O Panel:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 May 2022
    Yaka, No X, 4LIEN and 3 others like this.
  2. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Piñasphere was going to be a mix of handmade and 3D printed, but after testing out the parts I made for the camera and lights rigs, I thought that it would be worth a shot to try a fully 3D printed project.

I needed to learn a LOT to improve my 3D modeling skills, and I ended up using Tinkercad, Blender and Fusion 360 together to get it done, but I'm sure it was worth it.

Case dimensions are 218 mm for the large diameter and 168 mm wide, the volume is about 4 to 5 Liters

[​IMG]

It's weight is about 2 Kg

[​IMG]

Materials Used for the build

Case Body:

Silk Copper is GIANTARM PLA
    White is GIANTARM PETG
    Clear is ERYONE PETG
    Black is FORMFUTURA Recycled PET ( I wanted to experiment with a green approach)

when the time to print the base came I wasn't sure to be able to print it with the remaining R-PET so I used another Filament

For the Base only:

ERYONE Black PETG

Last edited: 12 May 2022
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks beautiful! :D Sub ITX? There's just a hint of the corners of the mobo, so I guess it might be ITX.

Arboreal and Jean R built like this.
  4. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks @Cheapskate! You are right it is a sub itx Mobo, it's a Asrock X300M-STX.

I basically bought an Asrock Deskmini X300 and designed the case around it, I wanted one of the tiniest Mobo I could use with the 5700G and this was the right balance of size and price.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Great Idea !! :clap:

It looks like a small jet engine

Jean R built likes this.
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good spot there, giving it an eagle eyed analysis in that brief glimpse!

Love it! I have seen only a very few M-STX case mods, and this has to be the most imaginative and radical one out there.

Your design and 3D printing skills are top notch! It's really good to see someone break away from the cuboid structure, my newly acquired little A300 is looking on in envy :jawdrop:

Jean R built likes this.
  7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I've had to design around ITX enough. I've had a few round designs too, and getting it in a ball WITH the connections and I/O is tricky. I figured it was that or you were a professional basketball player.

Jean R built likes this.
  8. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Beautiful design, well done! Are the coppery coloured bits 3d printed plastic?

Jean R built likes this.
  9. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I'm happy you like it too, I like the jet engine look vibes it gives, it started as half split sphere, moved to flowery shape, then ended up with the asymmetric vaguely Pineapple shape.

I think that one of the things I like the most when I try new design, is that I can still give everyone some space of interpretation.

Thanks still learning but at least the winter efforts payed off, and yes I thought about the lack of sub ITX mods too, but that's probably because there are fewer options around.

I left the I/O side for last, it was a tricky one, technically I'm tall enough to be a basketball player so that's a fair assumption :hehe:

Thanks!, yes it is GIANTARM PLA color SILK COPPER.

10. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I'm working at the hotel since April, so that's the reason of my delayed updates.

Reasoning behind the hardware choices:

[​IMG]

For this build I went for an AMD 5700G, if I had to ditch the GPU I wanted to use the best I could get as APU so that's the main reason.

I can edit on Blender and Fusion 360 and even play at 1080p, all that with a power usage under 120 Watts.

For the Rams 3200 was the max so here they are 16Gb, I could have bought 32 Gb but I thought I wouldn't gain much from it so I left it as a future upgrade if needed.

The main SSD is a 1 Tb Samsung 960 M.2, at first I bought the same but 512Gb on sale.

Now I'm using Win11, but I ran the first tests with Linux to see the health of the SSD, in the end I gave it to my brother and bought the 1Tb version.

more updates soon I promise.

Arboreal likes this.
  11. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

The Asrock Deskmini X300 was the choice for the build because it's super small, it is shipped with it's own external PSU brick, and the build has really low power consumption.

I also looked for Asrock the Jupiter X300 that's even smaller, but this project couldn't be much smaller considering the waterblock.

The AIO, well the AIO was a straight forward choice, by putting everything in the configuration I had in mind, it helped in having the wider components sit in the middle of the body, and not protruding from the CPU side.

The AIO is the Cooler master MasterLiquid, for two reasons one was the shape of the waterblock and the total black look.

The fan was changed for looks, it had to be Gray for my design, and no RGB was needed, so the Noctua was the next buy.

The Noctua has a different sound from the Cooler Master fan that came with the AIO, I consider both fans good, the only reason was the color.

As noise level goes the PC is even more silent than Da Module Thingy because it's only one fan and no spinny HDD, it's never noisy, more like you can hear it blowing when it's working hard, if it's just browsing or doing light works, and there is nothing moving in the house, you can barely hear it.

When benchmarking or rendering some really complex 3D model on Blender or Fusion 360 the temperature goes close to 60°C, but it quickly cools down afterward so it's all good.

When playing @1080p it sits about 50°C, when browsing or light 3D editing it stays on low 30s °C.

The SSDs are also running cooler, because the air has to move near them before getting out.

Last edited: 20 May 2022
    Arboreal likes this.
  12. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Awesome build, would love to see some pictures of the build process soon :D

Jean R built likes this.
  13. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks! I will, but this summer has been busier than expected at work, or as expected :lol:

During the last round of Amazon Prime Days deals Piñasphere has been upgraded, on the Ram front it now has 32+8Gb Corsair Vengeance @3200, and I added another 1 TB Samsung M.2.

Let's see how it goes in the next weeks.

14. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

I have a 1,5 year old so no need to tell me :p Do it, when ever you can get around to it. I'm watching the thread ;)

Jean R built likes this.
  15. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hi Eveyone, I left this log dead for a while.
    I've been busy with life, I don't know if have question about the project I will reply.

If you want to print it, I've shared the STL files for free on thinghiverse link:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6313157

If memory serves me well I've printed everything with a standard 0.4 Nozzle setting 0,2 layer height and 0.44 line width.

Infill was 20% for almost everything except the big structural middle sandwich, which was 40%, and the outer shells that are made entirely by perimeters no infill.

The clear parts were printed hotter at 240 C degrees, to get the parts as clear as I possibly could at the time.

Now I would print it with bigger lines like 0.3 height and 0.6 wide, with a 0.4 CHT nozzle, with less infill it would be more clear.

you will need 2 long M6 screws with nut bolts to fasten the mid structure and some brass inserts with M3 screws where needed mostly Mobo side.