1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hive Smart home ending support for almost all devices

Discussion in 'General' started by Otis1337, 27 Jul 2022.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I don't have Hive but I don't buy the Net Zero talk.

Sure discontinue products if you want to promote newer more efficient equipment but don't remove support for people who have invested alot of money. It'd also be alot of products to landfill if they do.

wyx087 likes this.
  3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Hum..... I guess that change involves purposefully creating e-waste...... shocking practice driven by spreadsheet monkeys.

ALL smart home need to have option for local control. Doesn't matter how fancy their cloud solution is, it becomes useless when the company decides to move on. Unfortunately Hive is not the only one that decides perfectly good hardware is now obsolete.

Home Assistant is the solution, I no longer buy any smart home product that cannot be controlled by HA locally.

trigger, adidan and IanW like this.
  4. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I don't think thermostats are being discontinued. Which is slightly different from when they exited US/Canada where they killed the lot.

The cameras and leak shield etc definitely are, which sucks. They really should be providing some form of legacy support rather than bricking devices.

Edit - I have a hive thermostat, and loads of TRVs. If they discontinue those the net zero claims are demonstrably false, anyone with them will instantly start using more heating energy.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Thermostat is unaffected, the only Hive product I own so I'll be OK, but anyone who bought security products recently are going to be a bit pissed off.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As someone in The Register comments said, when it comes to smart home, the goal of "net zero" should be having zero reliance on the net for things to function.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  7. adidan

Fair enough, I mean I've never gotten into that whole malarkey - once had a nest at a holiday cottage and it seemed pointless to me.

I'm very much a League of Gentlemen when it comes to thermostats, fridges, kettles and the like - this is a local shop for local people.

8. VictorianBloke

I thought it would be pointless too. Only ended up getting one because my previous thermostat broke, and the Hive worked out way cheaper.

Having the hive TRVs fitted has effectively given us multi zone heating, without replumbing, and massively reduced gas heating costs. With two of us working from home last winter we just heated the rooms we were using upstairs during the day. Downstairs rooms then got boosted in time for relocating at pens down, with upstairs cooling for a better night temperature.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2022
  9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I feel much the same and glad I’m not the only one. I don’t see what’s wrong with a simple, cheap, reliable switch.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The main reason I ever wanted one was to be able to turn on the heating on cold mornings

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

It started with smart thermostat for me, wanting to turn on the heating from bed or while away instead of relying on the stupid 2 on/off setting on the boiler.

Now I run whole smart home on Home Assistant: hallway, stairs and ambiance lights turn on when walking through. PC turn on/off automatically to mine according to solar production. Electric car integrated for status checking and charge management. Even VR headset is integrated to have charging automatically managed instead of always charged to 100%. Also have many time sensitive automations to take advantage of cheaper off-peak electricity with secondary server power up for backup, washing machine, dish washer etc.

trigger likes this.
  12. adidan

Each to their own, I just set it to a temperature if I'm cold and turn it down going to bed.

13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Had Hive at my last house when was married, was handy but caused disputes with us overriding each others settings.

Since getting my own place, found it's less needed so fitted an RF unit and working on a RaspberryPI control unit for the fun of it as I don't want the reliant (and cost) of corporate devices that they will one day want you to upgrade

wyx087 likes this.
  14. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

It is as the app will be closed down. the functions of the physical thermostat will still work but most of the point of this thermostat is to monitor and control it all remotely

15. VictorianBloke

I've not seen anything about the app being discontinued. Only that cloud subscriptions for the security stuff will stop. You got a link for anywhere with more details?

They specifically state thermostats and TRVs will continue. (To Which)

Worth noting that hub1s will stop, and that will stop thermostats working properly, so would need upgrading to hub2s.

List here of everything that will stop working.
    https://www.hivehome.com/product-news

edit- link for the Which article saying thermostats and valves will continue being supported https://www.which.co.uk/news/articl...scontinued-what-you-need-to-know-atjBm5H1PIqW

Edit edit - just realised there's a separate "Hive camera" app. Which I guess will be stopping.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2022
  16. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i did read it somewhere but id take what which says over some random article I found, its good news for me and ill not argue it! haha

VictorianBloke likes this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

To my understanding, it's this: Hive launched smart HVAC stuff. It was successful. Seeking growth, Hive branched out into other smart home stuff including security products. It was not successful. Now, Hive's cutting its losses and going back to just smart HVAC.

If you're got Hive HVAC stuff, it should be business as normal.

If you've got any other Hive stuff, then you're SOL. At least until someone releases a handy-dandy firmware replacement which hooks the stuff into HomeAssistant or whatever.

VictorianBloke likes this.
  18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I think this is the fundamental problem in the home automation space, every company has created an "eco system".

Rather than building on open source protocols they went and reinvented the wheel and ran all control through their own servers. Like games now a days, one bean counter, merger or bankruptcy and nothing works anymore.

Make matters worse there are tons of things with smart crap built into them with the potential to be bricked should it loose connection to the mothership.

As great as the smart Hive stuff is for controlling the heating etc I honestly wouldn't mind switching. The number of times I've had to reset the router and wait 20mins just to turn the heating off has angered me enough.

spolsh likes this.