1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Daily Keyboard Cleaning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 5 Sep 2022.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Wooah!! Mate, that makes me feel dirty just looking at the picture! Surely you have to be trying to make a keyboard end up like that. Maybe he was attempting to get some DNA lodged with you.

Can confirm after cleaning my deck this weekend following a spillage that isoprop leaves it nice and clean with no obvious ill effects. Rather pleased with the result.

But thoroughly avoid this on anything you treasure - it took the actual colour off my penknife once.

LennyRhys and Spraduke like this.
  2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Picked up Isopropyl in the end - does seem to do a good job.

adidan likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Boak. Man that is disgusting.

I add a soft brush to the hoover, and give it a going over when doing the housework.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Other than washing your hands a lot, there's not much you can do about it. Keycap material and design can play a part in this though. Smooth ABS caps being worse, and textured PBT caps being best. I just wash my hands a lot. I do tend to have very dry hands as well. My boards tend to never really need cleaning. I also use a dust cover over them when not in use, which helps with dust build up under the keys. I've also banned my cat from my desk :) Some people just have more oil on their skin though. If you are one of those types, then regular wipe down with a alcohol moistened lint free cloth after every session is what I would recommend.