1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable New 10" Tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 4 Nov 2022.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm looking for a good quality 10" Android tablet, but the market is awash with millions of the fugging things, so I'm looking for recommendations to cut through the dross.

No Amazon sh1te, just a good quality Android model with snappy performance. Minimum 1080p.

Mainly for lunchtime youtube and web browsing. Budget £200-£250 tops, but happy to spend much, much less.

Help out a bit-tech bro today :grin:

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

20% off at Samsung right now, plus quidco and old crap trade in, might get you something?

David likes this.
  3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

You're in the market for a refurb Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, well within your price range on eBay or similar.

I bought two for the kids (from different sellers) and they are brilliant for the money. They were unmarked too, as good as new.

We're a Samsung family as it's easier to keep in the ecosystem for smart watches, phones, TVs and tablets, but I've tried a number of other cheap 10" options and they all had significantly more annoying aspects than the S6 Lites I ended up on.

Or do what I did and splurge on a Tab S8 Ultra :grin:

Arboreal and David like this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

We still have two 10" Tab As that chug along quite happily even now. TBH they're only really used mainly on trips (the OH's can take a SIM which is handy for WiFi hotspot use, hence mine doesn't need one).

But yeah, I'd have no qualms picking up another Samsung tablet in the future. There's the odd bit of preinstalled guff but nothing too intrusive.

David likes this.
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Samsung is as close as you'll get to such a thing...

all android tablets are some shade of crap, samsung are typically the least bad.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

D'you know, the Sony Xperia Tablet Z I've got is still working... nearly 10 years after I bought it.

Shame so little software supports Android 5 properly, 'cos the quad-core Snapdragon inside's still surprisingly grunty.

Byron C likes this.
  7. David

I think I'll try and grab a S6 lite, used or refurb - I've read the performance is noticeably better than the Tab A, and I like the S Pen on my Note, so that gives another edge to the S6 Lite.

Unfortunately, the 20% off is limited certain models and brings nothing anywhere even close to budget. I mean, I could spend more.. but then, I could wake up and find something missing.

Thanks, chaps.

but then the remaining options are Microsoft or Fisher Price Apple...

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Realistically only apple...

...and i never said i liked the situation, just that it is the tablet landscape.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I got a Lenovo P11 recently (think they still do a 10" the P10), I've been pleased with it so far, very nice screen, battery's good, plays Gwent fine, also ran Fishing Planet really well too.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

20% off seems to be on all tablets? s6 lite and a8 etc are in budget with the code.

Or plug your note into a portable touch screen for media, I do this all the time.

Aztine 15.6 inch Portable Gaming Monitor 1920×1080 Full HD IPS Monitor Second Screen with USB C/HDMI/Speakers for Laptop, PC, Mac, Xbox Series S, PS5, TV and Phone : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last edited: 4 Nov 2022
  11. David

From Samsung's Webiste:

Get 20% off Galaxy Smartphones, Watches, Buds and Laptops

Doesn't mention tablets - I tried anyway, on a S6 Lite. Three times.

Didn't work.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Samsung rubbish website, it works fine clear cookies and try again, just tried it on a s6 lite no bother.

David likes this.
  13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

upload_2022-11-4_21-55-8.png

Arboreal likes this.
  14. David

Well, that was ****ing painful.

Cleared cache and it accepted the code. Then it stubbornly refused to progress beyond billing/delivery address. Cleared the cache again. Nope. Tried again. Yep. Then I couldn't get past the payment screen. Cleared the cache again and it worked.

Seriously, what the actual **** is wrong with that website?

Thank you @sandys for persisting.

Arboreal and sandys like this.
  15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hey @sandys ! Was just noodling around and saw your post - how do you power your screen on the go and how long does it last? Was thinking it might be useful to hook the little 'un's phone up to for on-the-go Game Pass, using Bluetooth controller. Is that even viable? It doesn't look touchscreen though, unless I'm missing something.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The phone can power the screen but understandably not for very long or at very high brightness, you'll get about 3hrs. you can feed power into the screen and it can then power the phone this gets you higher brightness

Yup that screen I picked in that link is not touch, my mistake, my one is touch and it just works as a big tablet with phone connected, plenty on Amazon with touch for not much more. Some of the more expensive screens even have a battery but at that price point you are hitting tablets levels so it all depends if you have uses for a portable screen, when not using my phone on mine, I also using it as second screen for PC.

It is worth mentioning not all phones can drive this, many Android phones don't have the functionality. It is also worth mentioning it is not a 100% app compatible solution most do work but there is the odd app that has content protection and won't allow display on external screen, tends to be anything from Sky.

Only list I can find that list phone types Smartphones | Turn your Smartphone into a Computer (nexdock.com)

Generally for a kid I'd imagine a tablet is an easier and more robust solution.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2022
  17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Last edited: 5 Nov 2022