1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Buying land in the Metaverse

Discussion in 'General' started by Spraduke, 4 Nov 2022.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I do wonder if any of these people realise that land in the real world is valuable as its a finite resource (and you know... useful) versus a virtual world where a developer can make infinite plots of land to keep suckers buying. Not to mention there isn't a leader in the "metaverse" so any of these platforms could be surpassed and made obsolete in the near future.

I despair at the intelligence of some parts of humanity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63488059

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I suppose the earlier locations of the land will have higher value as it is more central..... oh wait, virtual people can teleport!

Spraduke likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eh, none of this is new - and people made an absolute killing doing it the last time around. Entropia Universe, launched in 2003, set a record for most expensive virtual objects ever sold in 2004 with a virtual island sold to Zachurm Emegen for $26,500, then again in 2008 when Jon Jacobs bought a space station on an asteroid for $10,000, then again when a different space station was purchased for $330,000 - then again again in 2010 when Jacobs sold what had become Club NEVERDIE for $635,000. Which was then split into chunks and resold for a profit. Again.

The game's still going, so I guess technically all of this stuff still has a value... but I can't imagine it's anywhere near the hundreds of thousands it was.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Maybe I'll buy 1 square meter of a sandy virtual place and, put a sign on in with a line from Pink Floyd's The Final Cut: "Get Your filthy Hands Off My Desert"

liamredskis likes this.
  5. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

These are literally speculative investments and are an example of people with too much money. I get the feeling that a lot of this stuff is used as a means to launder money as well. Who monitors these transactions and how do you define value to something that you don't have any guarantees or inherit trust in.

Absolute madness IMHO.

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Money can certainly be made but it does rely on the bigger fool being available

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

There is always one…

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I'd do the same but add an 'S' to that final word and add a virtual cheesecake emoji.

Arboreal and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  9. liamredskis

liamredskis What's a Dremel?

It truly is weird to deem such expenditures as "investments"... Maybe it has something to do with how sketchy (and even nonexistent) the legal frame regarding cryptos and NFTs is at the moment. Also, I'm not sure how do they tax these purchases (or is it simply one more route to spin the funds around and back to you...)

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Getting strong Sadville Second Life vibes here, tbh.