1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding American Modders' Measurements

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Confusitron, 20 Dec 2003.

1. MrShake

MrShake What's a Dremel?

:sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

Wow, what exactly are you adding to the conversation by this comment. I take personal offence to this, I am FAR from lazy and I am FAR from stupid, and I use SAE most of the time. If your going to add to a conversation, there i s no need to be deragatory or rude, make a point worth making and then move on.

2. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

I use Celcius and Kilos very easily. But all of my equipment defaults to that, so I learned it from converting them in my head. Get funny looks when I say "It was cold today. About 22". And everybody thinks I mean 22f, not 22c.

I try to do my measurements in metric because I find it easier and more precise, but I can't convert it in my head just yet

But I've never been good with distances and lengths. I just don't have that gene.

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

that's the other problem - it's hard to read fractions when they've been typed - that could have been 513 sixteenths which means "i don't know quite what"!

4. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Again: The drive space was labeled for the actaul size of the Floppy disk (which was 5 and 1/4"). It was not labeled for the size of the bay, which later became used for CD/DVD drives and other things.

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

@Hazer
    Yeah the robertson was made in canada, what I ment by:
    Was that americans tend to use the phillips more than the robertson, when was the last time you've seen a robertson screw on a device that was made in the us? It's mostly phillips. The guy who invented the robertson bit was pushing very hard to get it to be a global standard, but then the war happened, and his plans had been side-tracked for a bit. Once the war was over, he awoke to find that the phillips had all but taken over, and he was basicly secluded to canada, allong with his bit. Sad, but true (btw, robertson bits are a LOT easier to work with than phillips, less stripping for one)

6. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

Probably due to me being from UK, this is the 1st I've ever heard of a Robertson screw, but it looks much easier to work with, and makes sense that it would be less likely to result in stripping...?!

7. sirgeoph

sirgeoph What's a Dremel?

not really about pc measurements, but i have a question...on my car's speedometer (I'm in the US), it has MPH in large numbers and below that it has K/H... on UK cars, does it have MPH under kilometers? Just curious.

8. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

How do you guys come up with these fractions while measuring? Is every inch divided into 16 smaller divisions?
    (And it's 14.8cm when I measure :p)

9. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

over here the bigger numbers are the mph, and kph are smaller

10. RW2112

RW2112 What's a Dremel?

Actually an inch goes all the way down to 64ths of an inch in SAE measurment. :D

And just to add, we are slowly making the switch over to metric, just lots of us old folks still alive and kicking that have trouble with it.

We old codgers get set in our ways and don't like change... :p

11. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Metric. I have a 600mm (2ft) and a 300mm (1ft) steel rule for my measurements... could do with a 150mm one though for those smaller projects like my maplin boxes.

12. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Measure? what do you mean measure when I mod, I line it up, make a mark, and do what I have to.

I dont measure, what kind of stupid question is that ;) :hehe: :lol:

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Heres a good way to remember it. Basicly, know that theres no such thing as an even fraction in SAE, like 12/16's can not exist. When you DO have an even fraction, then you half the first number, and insted of 12/16's, the proper measurement would be: 3/4". Simple enough?

1/64th, 1/32ed, 1/16th, 1/8th, 1/4, 1/2, 1. <remember that, and you'll never be confused about SAE (or Imperial) ever again. Well, thats how I learned anyway. BTW, think "RAM" (ram goes up by doubling itself usualy, same with SAE fractions).

2/64th = 1/32
    2/32 = 1/16
    2/16 = 1/8
    2/8 = 1/4
    2/4 = 1/2
    2/2 = 1 (duh)

14. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

OK, so I gotta ask...how do you "learn" metric? All you have to do is know that 10mm=1cm, 100cm=1m, 1000m=1km...how does that require learning?

15. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

how do you learn how to walk? you just need to know to put one leg in front of the other and then walk! ok so not such a great example but you do need to learn that
    !!

16. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

milli- = divide by 1000
    centi- = divide by 100
    kilo- = multiply by 1000

Not difficult.

17. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

I agree completely. It is logical and should be used universally, but you still need to know those things, just like you need to know how many ounces in a pound (which I have absolutely no idea about)!

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

how about the number of perches to a furlong, links to a chain, etc

19. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Yeah. So come to the US and go to the local hardware store and ask the clerk for 10 meters of chain. Or better yet, try to find 5mm plexiglass. Hmm, the only thing we stock is 1/4" thick. Its not 'learning' its the 'converting' people would have a problem with. Its not like you can just call every manufacturer in the country and say: "Alright, from today forward, your using metric only. Change all of the equipement over." A standard is a standard. Things can be converted, but each company has to take thier own time to do so.

Again, telling US people to 'change' thier measuring system is just like telling every other country in the world to "start teaching english, and english only" as their first language.

20. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

In the UK, we tend to use both methods, but in my experience, the older generation usually stick to feet and inches, where the younger generation (and most hardware stores) use the metric system (I.M.O.)