1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Looking for GPU for an older rig.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slambittech, 19 Feb 2023.

1. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Hi All,
    So I am looking to repurpose a rig that was built in 2017. I believe its missing hard drive and gpu.
    Rig:
    CPU: intel i5 7500
    RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000
    motherboard: ASUS STRIX B250F GAMING Motherboard

Power: 650w corsair
    Hard Drive: Looking for
    GPU: Looking for, however the motherboard has hdmi so does that mean it has onboard graphics already?

Looking at options of under £200 budget or cheaper depending on what is the best option. Is it worth keeping and still viable?
    For educational purposes for a 10 year old with some light gaming, don't think anything to graphical intensive.
    Some recommendations please.
    Thanks

2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

The i5 7500 has integrated graphics. You should be able to get reasonable basic/office use with no discrete GPU, but might struggle with gaming - depending what you define as ‘light’ and at what resolution.

Is it worth keeping? My 2p is if it does what you want then yes. I’d grab a SSD and see how it goes, you can always add a GPU and/or a second/larger drive later if needed. If, after trying it, it doesn’t work out, you could look for a newer CPU/mobo and retain the rest, or sell it/parts on.

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I second @BeauchN 's suggestion.

It's perfectly capable for what you're wanting I think. Definitely an SSD (they're affordable nowadays) and try with the built in igpu to start with (intel 630 graphics I think).

4. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Ah ok thanks guys, yeah I was thinking of just adding a ssd and trying it if it had integrated graphics. So will give that a try, is it recommended to get or look into getting a m.2 hard drive? I'm reading that the motherboard accepts m.2 slots so is it worth that route than traditional ssd?
    Thanks

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I mean Id go the cheapest option to start with, I don't think you'd really notice any real world difference between the two unless your ten year old with be moving a lot of big files :happy:

I have an nvme as a boot drive but that was mainly for space saving tbh, I can't say I've noticed any difference to my ssds.

If you do go the nvme M2 route it'll probably be more expensive (cheaper drives are out there, I picked up a Kingston one but that's just in an enclosure as an external drive - it gets ways too hot for me to trust it in my system).

6. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Thanks, I will give it a try. :happy: I don't expect a 10 year old to be transferring huge files either, lol.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Affordable SSD seconded.
    I picked up a 500GB Crucial SSD from Scan last week for £27.50 inc B-T free next day shipping. You should be able to pick up a 1TB SSD for £60, which is more than enough for most situations.

8. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Or check the market place, I think there are some SSDs in various 'for sale' threads