1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Could someone help identify this resistor

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 26 Jul 2023.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

If possible could someone help here please, its not a great photo plus its not much better to look at in the flesh.

As far as I can tell its brown black yellow (100k?) but the tolerance band is unclear, I'm thinking its gold. The resistor measures approx. 5mm across so its quite a big resistor.

Its from a 12v battery electric fence, seemingly on the output, there is two of them and one has two holes blown in it and the other has one so they are both knackered.

I have a feeling it they may well blow again but if its cheap enough to chuck a couple in and see what happens then I'm willing to give it a go.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

yeah looks like 100k to me.

The fourth band can be gold or silver - often more like a grey

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

4. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I think those would be fine, but ideally you'd like something rated for the high voltage on the output side of a fencing energiser (not essential as most small energisers use standard resistors I think).

I'm currently looking into one of our energisers that has failed after it was accidently connected to another unit and lost the fight and I think its some of the surface mount resistors that have died. All resistors on the input side appear to be film resistors and the output side are surface mount ones with higher power ratings.

The unit I'm fixing (optimistic) is an 18 Joule mains unit and looking at a few old Gallagher 12V, 0.3 joule units I have here I can confirm the resistors on the output side are simple film ones.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Its a Shire 12V, 8500V, 0.6 joule unit.

Does that mean the ones I've linked aren't rated for the high voltage, as they are the same physical size or is about what they are made of?

Last edited: 27 Jul 2023
  6. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

They are rated for 2W, however this will be constant and the output from an energiser isn't and I have no ideal how to calculate the right rating for a resistor in these circumstances. I can't tell what ratings the resistors in my small energisers are but in the 18J mains unit they are 25 - 45W attached in series.

Ultimately I'd go with those and see if the unit works with them, if it does then great and they are cheap to change again, I would expect them to last a good while or fail immediately. If the unit doesn't work after changing the resistors then check to see if they have failed again before looking for faults elsewhere.