1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor New Raspberry Pi 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Sep 2023.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's been four long years, but the Raspberry Pi 4 has a successor... and you'll never guess what they've called it.

raspberrypi5-top.jpg

Yeah, it's the Raspberry Pi 5. Try to look surprised.

Absolute beast: benches at between two and four times the performance of the Pi 4, depending on workload, and that's a connector with PCI Express Gen. 2 (Gen. 3 if you don't mind running it outside spec) at the left-hand side. Two MIPI connectors that can be display or camera, proper full-bandwidth USB 3.0 (no more one-lane-across-two-ports shenanigans), a real-time clock with optional battery backup, dedicated debug port, and a real actual (soft) power switch.

I've got a full review over on Hackster, for the curious.

Vault-Tec, IanW, Byron C and 2 others like this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Very nice, very nice indeed.

I’ll preface everything here by saying that I haven’t read your review yet @Gareth Halfacree, you may have covered some or all of this.

I read that the PCIe port supports NVMe, so I’d be interested to see how it handles SSDs. It’s probably not going to get close to saturating an NVMe SSD’s bandwidth, but it’s always nice to have more storage options. And it’ll be interesting to see what other weird and wacky uses people come up with for a PCIe port on a Pi.

Maybe this generation will be the first true “desktop replacement” Pi. For me, one the biggest roadblocks to going “full Linux” (for everything besides gaming) has always been GPU acceleration, in particular GPU accelerated video decoding in browsers. That and video DRM support in browsers… If this can run 4K video in a browser from a variety of different sources (Netflix, Prime, YouTube, Disney+, etc) then I will pre-order one now. I’ve done all the hacks and workarounds in the past (which usually boil down to third-party Kodi plugins and a game of whack-a-mole between plugin developers and streaming services), and I’ve got zero patience for it any more. I’ve had trouble doing this with x86/x64 PCs and laptops over the years though, so I’m not holding my breath that it’ll be smooth sailing on the Pi 5.

I am slightly disappointed that they chose to offer pre-orders. In the past, they’ve only ever done new product announcements when they’ve been available to order (besides, of course, the very first board). It’s not a question of whether than can/will deliver, I would put far more trust in Raspberry Pi Trading than any other manufacturer/vendor. But pre-orders are still selling a product that technically doesn’t exist yet, and it comes straight on the back of a prolonged period of Pi boards being basically impossible to get hold of.

My enthusiasm for new Pi boards is definitely less than it was in previous years, but it does give me very warm fuzzies to know that they are still going strong. There are a bajillion other ARM and x86/x64 SBCs out there these days, for whatever possible purpose you could imagine, but absolutely none of them can hold a candle to the amount of support that Raspberry Pi boards get.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Manages about 400MB/s at stock settings; you can hit 900MB/s if you run the PCIe lane at Gen. 3 - but that's outside spec, and don't come crying to me when your data gets corrupted.

Arboreal, IanW and Byron C like this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I am literally reading your review as we speak/type :grin:

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Boooo.... would be much better to do PD allowing much wider selection of power supply.

For around house little projects, I still think Pi 3 is the best option. It just works with any power supply and doesn't require extensive cooling, it has more than enough performance to run basic GPIO tasks with a simple web server.

6. Gareth Halfacree

It does do USB PD - but every USB PD power supply out there (that I've found) tops out at 3A on a 5V output. Even the 100W GAN stuff - if you want more than 15W you're supposed to negotiate higher voltage, which the Pi 5 doesn't do.

There are 5V/5A USB power supplies out there, but they use the newer USB PPS (Programmable Power Supply) standard - so if you hook 'em up to a Pi 5 they stick at 3A at best or 900mA at worst.

Arboreal, IanW and wyx087 like this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

To be honest, if you’re doing something that doesn’t need a display and is largely just used for automation then I’d argue that a Zero W or even a Pico W is a better fit. The RP2040 is an amazingly capable little microcontroller.

Arboreal and wyx087 like this.
  8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

It's the 5A requirement that is difficult. It would have been easier if they have used standard PD at 9v 3A. Of course it's easier for usage but more expensive to buy.

Zero W is a good shout. But I personally like everything wired.

Great performance upgrade for the 5 though.

Arboreal likes this.
  9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Waiting for my "priority code" from MagPi to drop into my inbox...

10. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Any info on low-speed interfaces (how many of each)?
    Seeing as whole datapath changed for cameras, whats the performance/limitations/power usage?
    Is CSI still limited to 1Gbps/lane?
    CVBS is now handled by RP1, can CVBS be used at the same time as HDMI?

Only took them 11 years to get RTC onboard...
    Also, in their press release they are boasting about chiplet design, is main SOC actually consists of chiplets or this is the case of redefining buzzwords?

It feels like they cant do a product release without there being controversy around power supply (rpi2 flash bug, rpi3 out of spec microb, rpi4 resistor bug, now this).
    Imo, they should have gone with 12V capable input two versions ago.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2023
  11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If i can get that PCIe connector to work with an x16 adapter I'll finally be able to do a mod I've been wanting to do for years.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Same GPIO capabilities as the 4, plus the new dedicated debug UART and a PWM fan connector.
    Power draw for camera usage will likely be higher than the 4, partially 'cos power draw for *everything* is higher but also 'cos the GPU's lost the hardware encoders so you've got to do software encoding now. The CSI/DSI ports are four-lane, 1.5Gb/s (so 3Gb/s total across the two, three times the two-lane 1Gb/s of the 4).
    No, as far as I'm aware (not tested it m'self), and the 3.5mm jack's been 86'd so if you want to use CVBS at all you're going to have to whip out the soldering iron.
    No clue on this one. All I know is that BCM2712 is 16nm, and the RP1 is 40nm - and part of the reason for building the RP1 in the first place is so the GPIO could remain at 3.3V without needing level shifters, whereas if it was running from the 16nm SOC it'd be 1.8V native.
    Thus far, the only official accessory for it is the M.2 HAT - but there's nothing, bar your standing in the eyes of God, to stop you connecting an x16-to-M.2 adapter to it. (Or just cutting out the middleman and finding an x16 adapter with the right connector on the far end.)

IanW and wyx087 like this.
  13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Jeff Geerling did attempt multiple GPUs, a RAID card and 10GB ethernet card on his so (though with limited success) so whatever you need your x16 for, it's possible at least physically.

14. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

So its just rpi4 peripherals (6 uarts, 2 spi, etc) offloaded to different ic?

HW encoder on rpi topped out at 1080p30, so it was pretty much useless since the release of camera V2.
    rpi4 soc had 4+2 csi lanes (or will inevitable CM5 will come without RP1)?
    on rpi4 1Gbps (500MHz DDR, maybe more, as there was no proper datasheet, hope they release one for RP1) was per lane, not per port.

Honetly, i would actually prefer if they sold version without any connectors soldered.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What i want to do it put a one inside of a GPU box and have the GPU working.
    Imagine something like this
    [​IMG]
    But the GPU is fully functional and a raspberry pi is hidden in the underside of the foam box.

16. Gareth Halfacree

To the best of my knowledge, yes - with the caveat that they haven't finished writing the RP1 datasheet yet, so I've not seen it. There may be differences of which I'm unaware.

EDIT:
    Looks like I *can* tell you that the RP1 has two Cortex-M3 cores, one of which doesn't do anything, and an RP2040-style PIO block - which RPT's working to make available to users, though not at launch. So that'll be nice.

EDIT EDIT:
    I can also share that the RP1 drops the SMI, which will break compatibility with some HATs. There's the potential for it to be added back using the PIO block, but that's a future thing - again, won't be happening at launch.
    The official Raspberry Pi 5 Product Brief (PDF) claims the Raspberry Pi 4 had "dedicated two-lane 1Gbps MIPI camera and display interfaces," so 1Gb/s per port not per lane, and that the RP5 replaces these with "a pair of four-lane 1.5Gbps MIPI transceivers, tripling total bandwidth." I must confess, though, it's been many a year since I looked at the spec sheet for the RP4, so I'm perfectly willing to believe RPT's just made a boo-boo there and the Pi 4 had a 2Gb/s camera port.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2023
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

ah cool. But can it run Cry…. I’ll get my coat.

Byron C likes this.
  18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I know it's still sort of the SBC... and has the healthiest ecosystem around it... but hasn't the the pi kinda been supplanted by better and/or cheaper things? both ARM and x86. Not helped by the pi being basically unobtanium for a long-ass time.

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Would one of those Zimaboard things not do for that?

20. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Something like latte panda or a caseless nuc might be more appropriate and GPU would not be bottle-necked by 1x PCI2.0.

Had a suspition it was something like that, RP1 might be a more interesting product, do you know/can disclose if they are planning on selling it on its own?