1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Your all time top 5 games (All platforms)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SuperHans123, 20 Sep 2023.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Knight Lore (ZX Spectrum)
    Doom
    Half Life
    Alien Isolation
    Goldeneye (N64)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Sorry, couldn't narrow it down any further.

Duke Nukem (orig & 3D)
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Doom
    Quake (1 & 2)
    Half Life (1 & 2)
    Command & Conquer (orig to RA 2)
    Call of Duty (1 & 4)
    Civilization (4 & 5)
    Battlefield (1942, Desert Combat mod, 2 & 3)
    The Division 2

MadGinga and SuperHans123 like this.
  3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

If i had to pick 5, i think the following would be it...
    • C&C Tiberian Sun
    • Half Life
    • Lego Star Wars (the complete saga)
    • Doom (original)
    • Just Cause 2
    But the following would be vying hard for a spot...
    C&C, RA, RA2, Half Life 2, Portal, Lego Indiana Jones, GTA Vice City, Oblivion, Rome Total War, KOTOR 1 & 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Battlefield 1942 and 2, & Burnout Takedown and/or Paradise

SuperHans123 likes this.
  4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Hard to single out individual games if there have been many but the amount of hours I have sunk in the following series would put them as my faves.
    • Granturismo series
    • Driveclub, apparently awful according to reviews, but it matured into something good, I couldn't get off it it, beating top 10 tables is a thing I seem to really enjoy, well until the servers went down.
    • Final fantasy series
    • Counter strike series
    • Yakuza Series
    Notable mentions, Tomb raider series, Uncharted series, Anno series, Civ series.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Total Annihilation & Link to the Past stand out amongst all the rest.

Picking the next three is too difficult, too many choices.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

That's it really, those of us of a certain age (cough) have been really lucky in experiencing the development of gaming in the last 30 years and the groundbreaking changes it has brought.

Pete J, SuperHans123 and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah... not easy - no way I can narrow to five.

• Freelancer - quite possibly my all time favourite
    • Half Life series - really can't split these up
    • 3D Monster Maze - ZX81 - properly freaked me out
    • FTL: Faster Than Light - going on hours played alone, this probably tops all my games combined
    • Dishonored - soooo good.
    • Mega-Lo-Mania - on the Amiga
    • Speedball 2 - Amiga again
    • Thief: Deadly Shadows - you don't get quite so scared on replaying, but it's still great
    • Jet Set Willy - Spectrum
    • River Raid - Atari 2600
    I could go on.

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Based purely on my enjoyment of them / hours sunk and approx chronological play order:

MOHAA
    Red Orchestra Mod / 1 / 2 (UT2004 mod (RO Mod) then UE2.5 engine (RO:Ostfront) then UE3 version for RO2)
    Orange Box (as a cheats way of Saying HL2, Portal 1&2 and TF2 in one row)
    CS:GO
    Hell Let Loose

9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Not knocking FTL, as I enjoyed it, but I found the novelty during replays to be low - i.e. get to the boss nearly every time to then get obliterated! What was it that kept you playing again and again?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Like @David, I couldn't easily pick five - I've just been playing games for too damn long.

If we narrow it down to just IBM-compatible games (so no console exclusives, nothing from the C64, Spectrum, BBC Micro, Amiga, Archimedes (man, but Zarch, though...), and so on)...

1. Nethack. Just purely in terms of hours spent.
    2. Life Is Strange. Was absolutely addicted to the story, despite the game's technical issues.
    3. A Mind Forever Voyaging. I own a boxed copy of this now, with all feelies. I love it.
    4. Max Payne. Never got on with the sequels, though.
    5. Shenzhen I/O. Zachlikes for the win.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

No, the only times the Boss really beats me is sometimes on hard difficulty but, even on easy mode, you can get reamed by a lucky hit to your weapons or shields at precisely the wrong moment.

It's just so easy to pick up/put down - I can run through a game whilst waiting for my missus to get ready - and the number of mods can really spice it up*.

Y'see, I just opened it up to check on something, and I had to start playing. There's a mod ship Prototype X9 which has two single shot ion lasers with a really fast reload, but every hit you take does double damage, effectively halving your health - can make for really tense games.

*Mods to the game, not my missus

Last edited: 22 Sep 2023
  12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

This is tricky and probably with rose-tinted glasses but my top 5, in no particular order:

Warhammer Online - probably the best fantasy MMO PvP i've ever experienced. Keep seiges and running battles that ebbed and flowed for hours and hours. So good...
    BFBC2 - Still my all time favourite Battlefield experience, despite the ability to spawn camp ruining the odd game.
    Vanilla WoW - The original back in 2005+ - the sense of achievement when getting a raid drop or your class mount after running around for 40 levels prior to that...
    SuperCars/2 - Back on Amiga when I was a kid, my mates and I used to go to a weekly Amiga club with our machines and portable CRTs and play this with strangers for hours.
    OutRun - in the arcades as a kid, always looking out for the seated machine, rather than the upright, but always put my money in regardless. The soundtrack to die for.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  13. MadGinga

oh gosh, forgot to consider older games...
    err, would have to add:
    • Exolon (on the amstrad 6128 i think)
    • Armour Attack (on the vectrex)
    • Lemmings, curse of monkey island (on the amiga)
    • a game i cannot remember the name of, nor the system i played it on, but involved flying a UFO over a landscape using your cursors as direction/rotation and space bar as thrust; so if you rotated too far you would fly full speed into the landscape...
    • megarace
    • Carmageddon

SuperHans123 likes this.
  14. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

If i rate for length of time played/addicted/enjoyed.

1. World Of Warcraft ( yeah really)
    2. Rfactor
    3. CSGO
    4. Half life / Black Mesa / Blue shift and the rest!!
    5. Final Fantasy 7 - the original.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

1.Fallout 3
    2. Half Life 2
    3. Mario 64
    4. Super Mario World
    5. Daytona USA

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you're misremembering and you used a mouse you're talking Lander/Zarch, or the port Virus, or one of its many clones. Amazing game.

[​IMG]

If it was a keyboard and two dimensional, then was it maybe a port or clone of Atari's Lunar Lander?

[​IMG]

17. MadGinga

Yes! This was it. Althought i would've sworn blind it was keyboard controls!

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  18. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Sensible World of Soccer (amiga) - as a kid, getting a bunch of mates around and setting up a world cup competion was really enjoyable
    Quake (pc) - not possible without Doom 2 but Quake deathmatch was a revelation, I think I played this over a dial up modem, is that right?
    Counter Strike 1.6 (pc) - again, novel tactical shooter multiplayer was so compelling at the time. Nothing like being the last man standing and saving the day the first time. I played all night sometimes.
    Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 2 (pc) - No Russian. I love single player FPS campaigns for their story telling and I think this is the best. Story seemed laughably implausible at the time, but not so much now!
    Battlefield 2 (pc) - the huge maps, vehicles and soldier classes and the team tactics, again spent hours on this.

Honourable mentions for me: Probably Xenon 2 (anyone guess that?) and Speedball 2 for me as well, Bitmap Brothers were killing it on Amiga. Halo 2 on xbox live, although a premium for Xbox Live, that service with the voice chat was incomparable, ahigh point in multiplayer . And one of those Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf games also on Xbox from around that time, in person multiplayer while chilling at student digs, incomparable jokes.

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Half-Life
    Yes, HL2 (and episodes) are great, but the original was a quantum leap in gaming prowess at the time - I'm glad I got to be there to experience it in the year of its launch. Black Mesa is a worthy homage to it - I would certainly play that instead of the original now. I've yet to play HL Alyx.

Homeworld
    Very pretty, and showed true 3D RTS space games could be a thing. HW2 is a great sequel, but the story got a bit weird. Looking forward to HW3.

Mass Effect 2
    This may hold the award for best sequel ever. Everything from the first game was improved upon, creating a very slick experience with a great story. Mass Effect 3 almost made it, with a further improved combat system, but was let down by its ending. Andromeda had even better combat but dropped the ball storyline wise.

I'll think of two more another time.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2023
  20. liamredskis

liamredskis What's a Dremel?

In no particular order:
    • Bloodborne
    • Deus Ex (the original game)
    • Diablo 2 (both the original and the Resurrected version)
    • Fallout: New Vegas
    • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Honorable mentions: Ocarina of Time, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls 1, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Darkest Dungeon, Gran Turismo 4, XCom 2, Twisted Metal 2