1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Upside down motherboard?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jace055, 25 Dec 2003.

1. jace055

jace055 What's a Dremel?

Has anyone ever run a motherboard upside down? If so, were there any heat issues with the processor or inside the case?
    Does anyone see any reason why this wouldn't work?

I am working on a custom case and an upside down motherboard would give me the most usable space. Thanks

2. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

well i see no problems doing that m9. there might be a problem with the heat sink just depends how hevy it is m8,
    but other then that u wont have any probs..oh wait just thought.

heat rise yeah? so i think you will need better cooling if u dont have it already.
    as i say u should be fine just watch the temps and make sure the clip on the cpu socket dose not snap of from the wight of the HS if it is heavy that is.

Good Luck :thumb:

3. Fubar

Fubar What's a Dremel?

well i would think since heat rise it would be colder in bottom of case but thats just me... and why would the hsf be heavier in the bottom of the case then it is in the top??

4. penski

penski BodMod

Robbie - I think he's meaning that so the mobo is still vertical but that the card slots are at the top and the chipset is at the bottom.

Kinda like W-ATX (?) format.

If that is the case then you shouldn't have any major problems as long as there is decent enough airflow in the PC.

*n

5. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

ah my badd sorry miss understood.

6. jace055

jace055 What's a Dremel?

I was thinking along the same lines as RobbieGSM. All the way upside down

If you lay a motherboard flat on a desk there is no problems. But what if it was upside down? with the heat sink and circuits pointing down. I am going to use a P4 with the mounting holes for the heatsink, so it won't fall off. But how much will heat rise through a processor die? I would think the heatsink would wick the heat off. any opinions?

7. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

From what I can tell... I think you would experience a slight increase in temperatures due to heated air being lighter than cooler air but that should not hurt anything. Just to be safe I think you should install a fan on the back side of the mobo to move thermal energy off the PCB directly "beneath" or in this case off the top of the CPU. As for the circuits - they can operate in any orientation.

Here is a crazy idea :idea: If you were very sure of youself... you could maybe drill some air holes under you CPU. Darn multi-layers and SMT components under the CPU. :D

8. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

Due to the fact that the heatsink will be in direct contact with the die (via thermal grease), you shouldnt have a heat problem from the die. You may however have a heat issue from the air. With the board on top, you will want to make sure that you have a good intake and exhaust setup otherwise the motherboard will act as an insulator and make the stagnant air heat up even more as opposed to a metal case.