1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm thinkingo f writing a book

Discussion in 'General' started by GiGo, 25 Dec 2003.

1. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

This yet again is a first post in a while.

I was talking to my friend last week, and we thought about writing a book about our lifes and what we got up to at college within 6months.

It may sound boring but if you consider it to be a book about 'the true student life' then I beleive it would be an interesting book?

Just wondering what you guys think or if you guys would be interested in buying a copy of a book about what a group of alcoholic studetns got up to?

Just an idea.

Merry Xmas all
    Hope you all had a good day
    >> GiGo <<

2. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

If you do make it, make sure you make it into a story and change names and stuff to make it read like a novel. Autobiographies only really work with famous people :p

3. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

"I'm thinkingo f writing a book" :hehe:

Personally i wouldn't read it, but if you want to know how to write a really good autobiography in novel form, A Staggering Work of Heartbreaking Genius by Dave Eggers is a must read, its one of my favourites.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2003
  4. Wndrbread

Wndrbread What's a Dremel?

You could pull a harper lee and get enough money to live off from your friends to write a incredible book : )

5. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

The 'true' student life? Are you a definitive example to the rest of us students? Surely you mean 'a true student life'.
    I don't think that I'd bother buying it, unless it was an excruciatingly witty account that bleeds realism.
    Sure, go ahead and write it if you want to get it onto paper. I fear it won't be easy to be successful and market it to an audience greater than yourself and your friends though, cliquey writing is a likely pit-fall.

I do feel sorry for your proof readers though:
    I've probably missed a lot that a pedantic English student would pick up on, I am by no means even remotely good at English. My teachers at school always complained of my idiosyncratic and quasi-colloquial style.

good luck! :)

Alaric.

6. Theo

Theo What's a Dremel?

I can't see it working, to be honest... The student life is something that many (although, not all) people cover at some stage in their lives. To make it work, I'd have to say that you'd need to make it fictional, with a pretty hefty twist to make it at least a little bit more interesting. Or, you could write "The Students Guide to the Students Life. Written by Students, For Students" - a witty and humorous yet, informative guide to blagging free drinks, getting laid, and living life to the max whilst passing all modules.

Your book would have to be a little more than just "So like... we were SO DRUNK, and Dave said "Let's get naked!".. but errr... I suppose you had to be there.." to be anything more than just something for people you know to read.

Or... if you fancy sticking to your original plan, and documenting your time as a student. Kill at least 30 people, spend your life in prison writing it, and release it before you die. Your name will live on, FOREVER!

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think it's a good idea, and it might prove an interesting read - but don't expect it to do very well at all, i doubt anyone will publish it or anything, but it would still probably prove to be a fun thing to do... :thumb:

Last edited: 6 Jun 2004
  8. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

unless it has some kick ass battles and some cool characters i wouldn't buy it.

9. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Sorry Arlic excuse my terrible english, didn't mean to offend you. If you must know I was shattered while writing the original post, I work 364 days a year an funnly enough xmas day is my only day off.

I wasn't really planning on it being published I just really wanted to know if people like you guys would find it interesting, we havn't even put pen to paper or fingers to keyboards.

It was just an interest check really.

Cheers for the comments tho.

PS Yet again thanks Arlic, so kind of you to point out the awful english.

10. acrimonious

11. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

:D
    If I didn't have to change my role to that of a cable box (decoding gibberish), I'd probably give it a read.

hehe :p

12. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

No problem ;)
    The point I was alluding to was that I wouldn't bother reading it if it wasn't easily comprehensible.

I was under the impression that you were thinking of publishing it because you asked if we'd be interested in buying the book. I'd expect perfect english if I were buying it - only today I was complaining at the number of typos in an OUP book.

None of this means that you shouldn't write it though!

Alaric.

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Nick Hornby's first book was autobiographical... and no one knew who he was at the time.

14. acrimonious

You dragged up a 6 month old thread to say that?

15. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

perhaps another win for the 'similar threads' thing! :thumb:

RoB

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Hmm.. didn;t check the date to be honest... and for some reason it was on the first page.

17. acrimonious

"Merry Xmas all
    Hope you all had a good day"

"funnly enough xmas day is my only day off."

Didn't give it away?