1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Struggling with gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SuperHans123, 22 Jan 2024.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I keep playing the same 4-5 games over and over!

My heavy preference is immersive sims but as we all know, this genre only has so many games. (Weirdly)

Right now I am playing Prey for the millionth time. Another week will be one of the Deus Ex's, another Alien Isolation or one of the Dishonoreds or will go back to an old Thief. (Honourable mentions to Portal 1&2 and the STALKER games)

I used to love FPS but they leave me so cold these days, just all exactly the same save for graphics and a few gimmicks.
    3rd person games, nope, especially those ones where you roll around on the floor like a prick and mash controller buttons for a hundred hours.

Used to like rally games but they only sustain you for so long.
    Walking simulators? Tried them, **** me they are boring.
    Open world, yes they look amazing but all essentially the same, drive/walk/run here and there, blow **** up, capture bit, move on.

And don't get me started on top down toy soldier games. Have we not moved on from the ZX Spectrum?
    Baldurs Gate and other D&D games? Nope, may as well play a board game.

So yes, I am struggling. I am old mind you, so possibly getting grouchy as well. (55)

Thinking of taking a break and learning some work related stuff in my spare time instead.

Anyone else struggling?

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Have you played the system shock remake or SS2? that might tie you over.

Kinda in the same boat myself, I'm hungry for a good single player FPS but these days they're all either competitive online mtx merry go round or some shitty crafting/survival...thing that looks like a dogs arse.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2024
    SuperHans123 likes this.
  3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Didn't want to list all the games I have played but yes, played the SS remake (great) and SS2 many times.

4. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

If it is frustrating you, I think you have already found the right solution already in your post - take a break!

There's lots of fun stuff to do in life off of the PC as well as on it :D

SuperHans123 likes this.
  5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I was having issues finding games I wanted to play on the PC, my solution, went to console, I can't explain how that helped, maybe less games, maybe because I play console on my sofa where PC at my desk.

Other than Starfield though, that's all I play right now, that's just something to pass the time but I too am thinking of taking a break and looking at work related stuff having changed job last May and I could do with concentrating on that a bit more

6. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I've really struggled for a long time to be captivated by a game like BFBC2 and Dayz used to do for me. In the last 7 years I've only played two games. Rocket League and Trackmania. Haven't touched RL in months.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'll be 60 in a few months and gaming has for me, almost fizzled out. I think about 8 or 9 months per year now, I play nothing. Only game I am looking forward to is Elder Scrolls 6 but, not confident it will happen, before Beelzebub gets hold of me...

SuperHans123 likes this.
  8. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think a lot of these games demand silly amounts of time or energy, which we just don't have. Or they're just, as you say, a rehash of something before. I tend to play silly little indie games these days, like Terra Tech or ICBM. Although I'm very different to you, I'm always bouncing onto new stuff. I saw my Steam Review, everyone else, 4 games a year, me 47 games, 18 being new!!! 27% was on Fallout 4 (I found they now do modpacks ans this one is 101GB!!!)

Here's my year in review if you're curious https://s.team/y23/cvpqwfr?l=english

SuperHans123 likes this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I'm up to 870 hours of Ace Combat 7 and counting, aside from a few months of Battletech and a run through Human Revolution/Mankind Divided it's all I've played since 2020. If it scratches the itch it scratches the itch.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Most games now want to be *the* game you play, and the only game you play... for the rest of time... not just... a game you play...

Ultimately... this...

wyx087 and SuperHans123 like this.
  13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

This is definitely a thing now. Everything that comes out seems to want your undivided at the expense of everything else. I'd like to try AC Valhalla, but if I can't do it in 20min bursts when I get a chance and have side-mistresses on the go at the same time, then that's an immediate turn-off. Quick Resume on the SeXbox does help massively with this though.

@SuperHans123 - I hear ya, bud. How about some indie/puzzlers to reset the mood? Thomas Was Alone was good for a brain trainer. And Duet is really good for a coffee break. Or some empire-building/strategy like the Rome/Total War/Dawn of War stuff?

14. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Thanks for the tips pal.
    Thomas Was Alone looks interesting, perhaps I shall give that a bash.

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

No worries at all. Also have a look at Dr Langeskov on Steam. I started it ages ago, but got stuck - embarrassing, since it's only a fifteen minute freebie comedy romp...but I shall return to it!

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You're not the only one feeling like this for sure.

I'd rather go back and play old games I enjoyed over new games now. Mass Effect Trilogy? Black Mesa? I could play these on repeat.

At least I don't have to worry about upgrading my PC anymore!

adidan, bawjaws and SuperHans123 like this.
  17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, I can't help but think that if I was super keen on all of the latest and greatest titles, especially FPS, then I'd have felt the need to upgrade my GPU yonks ago :D

Pete J likes this.
  18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They want your undivided attention and [hopefully, in their eyes] that of your wallet.

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Definitely not alone in this. I've found I'm stuck in a few games and nothing else floats my boat at the moment, tried a couple new games that I wanted to like but just got bored with them quickly.
    I used to be able to put hours and hours into games like Anno and GTA/other open worlders but I just can't anymore, I'd rather just sit and watch some TV show I've seen a million times and just try and let my brain switch off after work.

I have just finished Plague Tale Innocence on PC and really enjoyed it, not too big, not too complicated with loads of choices/options and it's one down on my huge Epic Store catalogue of free games that I've never played, :D

I need to put some more time into HL Alyx too and get it finished, but after a day working in a garage the last thing I want is to strap a screen to my head and start jumping about, :D, then the weekend comes and I'm working on my own cars :D

20. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Yup , not alone. PS5 in the lounge , HTPC in the lounge , 2 desktops in the basement , sim rig ( getting some use ) but other than that i play Rocket League . Same as everyone one else , for the past 40 years ive played computer games , life sadly starts to dictate that one should be more responsible , having less free time due to working , walking / hiking now my favorite activity etc etc . Were just getting old. That said , i do love a raining day i can smoke a doob sit down and have a days gaming until tired .. those days are priceless. I still have way too many toys.

Pete J and SuperHans123 like this.