1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards unexplainable freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 29 Jan 2024.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Some of you may have read my recent thread concerning memory issues with a B650 mb and a ryzen 7950x 3d ... :blah:
    https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/unbootable-system-with-a-certified-memory-kit.386549/
    I am humbly asking for your help again
    Unfortunately, after changing for an intel proc and MB, I have also a big issue, and honestly, I am lost actually... here is the thing in details
    first the new specs:
    Z790 aorus Master rev1.0
    Intel core i9 14900kf -
    2x48go of DDR5 Gskill trident Z5 (picked into the compatibility list of Gigabyte support...)
    PSU Bequiet pure power 12M -
    SSD nvme 2to Firecuda gen 5
    Nvidia RTX 4080 founder's edition
    (The firecuda is on the first nvme gen 5 slot)

The PC didn't boot the first time, but of course, the bios was outdated, so I downloaded the latest version (F12) from the Gigabyte support page, and flashed it succesfully...
    I first went into bios and choose to run with default settings, then I restarted, it booted properly and installing Windows end succesfully. After 15/20 mnts, during the download of updates from the Gigabyte center, it crashed... :eyebrow: the display went out, all motherbord's rgb were still glowing and fans spinning, but no more screen...the motherboard code was A0 (means no trouble right ? :idea:),
    none of the 4 troubleshouting leds were lit, it just froze suddenly and no way to get back to Windows, with a "no accessible boot device" message...?
    I started the whole process again after a bios reset, but same result
    so I tried another ssd nvme gen4, same result: windows installation succesfull, crash after 15 mnts, frozen the same way, code A0, no troubleshouting leds lit ????? :wallbash:
    I tried to install Windows on a sata SSD, same result...
    I tried around 10 installations already, going straight into bios after installation, seeking for parameters to disable uncucessfully... activating or not XMP didn't helped...
    The PC doesn't crash when it's on Bios page, so I can check that the temps are correct, the proc temp is 49°C and system temp 33°C
    I also prepared all drivers first on a usb stick so I had the time to install all the drivers without the gigabyte center, but still, the PC crash after the first reboot. To finish, I tried with one stick of memory only, and also with another GPU, another PSU...same result
    The motherboard seems to work properly, but may be all of this is the sign of a deeper issue... :oldconfused:
    I don't know what to do now, I feel so unfortunate, after all the PCs that I mounted or fixed last 25 years, I am lost :sigh:
    thanks for reading
    I wish one of you will have a clue :grin:

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you very much for such a fast reply, I will merge the "disabling multi-plane overlay" first of all after installing windows...
    but for the last installations, as I had often to dismount, it was more practicle to use a less heavy and expensive GPU, so I skipped the 4080 for an RX580, and also another installation was done with a 2080, I installed Windows 10 properly, but even without any GPU drivers it crashed...

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It isn't a Windows driver Kim. It is a part of Windows itself.

At least it will eliminate it as a culprit.

5. kim

kim hardware addict

sorry I misunderstood, it is a precious tip anyway, I will do that after installation and I will post the result, thank you very much mate

Vault-Tec likes this.
  6. kim

kim hardware addict

Unfortunately, disabling MPO did not solve the problem, I merged the reg file into my register first of all, as soon as the desktop was availiable, but I had the same result after 10 minutes of Windows working screen crash ! :sigh:
    It was yesterday...today, I scrolled internet, reading topics about similar issues again, but nothing relevant. I even found a video, and I was very exited thinking it could be the way when i saw that:

I tried that tip too but I could not even manage to boot again on any key :lol:
    Since, it seems bad vibes are sticking around :miffed:, I removed the SSD nvme, I placed only a new SSD sata, I downloaded a new iso of Windows, I prepared a new USB stick with Rufus, I replaced the 4080, I did a clear C-mos, I pulled on the starting knob...codes were scrolling, I wait...I wait...but no screen emulation, the GPU troubleshoot led is on :jawdrop:...the RTX 4080 is not working :eeek:.
    Well, I don't want to waste time, I skip it for the RX 580 that was working until now, yes :happy:, Aorus logo pops up, I press F12 to choose the boot on the USB key...no, it doesn't want to boot, the menu comes back but I cannot boot on the key :eyebrow: it says d9 on the lcd, so it means boot problem...well :thumb:
    I start to be really pissed :wallbash:, so I decide to start from the very beginning with the previous version of the bios, ( :idea: may be f12 bios doesn't fit, it sounds odd but I am running out of options :rollingeyes: )
    I download it from gigabyte, unzip it, and copy the bios file on the same 2go USB 2.0 key that I use for years only for flashing bios... I just flashed it the same way a few days ago succesfully, without renaming the file, using Qflash when I am in the bios, it worked the previous time but this time it says "can't read file" :sigh:
    Well, I rename it in ".bin" and start again..."can't read file" :worried: am I cursed or what?
    I start to wonder if the MB is not damaged, but I am really disappointed and lost actually :lol:

Last edited: 4 Feb 2024
  7. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

A0 for that motherboard is "IDE initialization is started", fancy term for basically letting OS take over. D9 to DA would be "can't load boot option"

I'm putting my 2p on the motherboard being wonky

kim likes this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for your reply Andersen, well, the MB was not wonky...I was :grin:
    The PC is finished and gone to a happy client, I finally managed to make it work...what happened ?
    I experienced something new regarding Windows installation.
    So even after all my issues, I was sure that the MB was all right, AO code meant the MB was fine and the issue was obviously linked to the boot ...:eyebrow:
    But, as I was freezing and freezing after all my installations, I finally started to think that Windows was the guilty... I could understand it if it was one of the modified Windows 10 versions that I usually use, but even installing it with a proper iso of Windows downloaded on Internet, it frooze...:grr:
    I decided to install Linux, I chose Ubuntu and started the installtion, it went to the end, it worked for hours...so it was Windows the guilty...but why ?
    Finally, I did something obvious for most of people, I went on the official Microsfoft site, and I made a bootable stick using the official Windows media creation tool.
    I installed it successfully and it never freeze again... :hehe: LOL, I can understand if some of you laugh of me, the solution was the most obvious thing to do when you want to install a computer, but I lost this habit with years of mounting, fixing and installing computers, making my own sticks with Rufus and my own Windows...
    Our certainties can become a jail that imprisons understanding, this is what happened to me.
    I tweak Windows since XP came out, I know that many people believe that it can only lead to issues, but I witnessed the opposite in 98% of cases.
    I already explained all the modifications that can be done to obtain a much more efficient and private Windows in this thread:
    https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/how-to-get-rid-of-a-boring-windows-message.385076/

Most of my computers are running with those modified Windows, I used to have some tiny problems before, but my last versions are really stable and generate no issues; and I also use a very light version to improve significantly old laptops performences, adding this light Windows on a SSD and your sluggish old laptop becomes faster than the first day.
    So I have prepared bootable USB sticks with different versions of my tweaked Windows to spare installation time, and I never experienced (until this time) any issue when installing Windows using those sticks, wether it was on a mounted or a pre-installed computer, but it is obvious that it could not work this time
    The odd thing in this particulary case, that led me to misunderstand was this so-called official iso of Windows 10 that I downloaded on the net from a well known softawares databank site, but not from Microsoft site...may be it was too old and outdated, but the PC crashed after installation as well, and this kept me away from the truth, this hardware needed a proper and updated version of windows to work.
    After Installation and activation, I made manually some tweakings and everything went fine.

Thanks to all readers and members who take time to consider other's problems, even if the solution comes from elsewhere, it's great to have a place to share our technical and tricky concerns and issues, especially when everybody arounds you finds it boring and incomprehensible...:hehe:

Last edited: 4 Feb 2024
    adidan likes this.