1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 80mm fan recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeauchN, 22 Mar 2024.

1. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Morning hivemind,

Any recommendations for 80mm fans? I’m going to look at deshrouding the 4060 Low Profile in my new build and that should mean there is room in the HT5 for 2* 80x25mm fans.

But, I’m also in the market for slim 80mm fan recommendations if anyone has some. That would mean a bit less airflow but possibly also less turbulence noise… decisions decisions!

Thanks in advance!

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I know that some deshrouds on the 4060LP have yielded worse temps than the stock cooler, mainly because of the size of the heatsink - oversized fans, path of least resistance etc..

Arboreal and BeauchN like this.
  3. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

That's not surprising, the temps on the card itself are absolutely fine to be honest, it was more about general airflow in the HT5 case itself - hoping to kill two birds with one stone by bringing in much more air over the de-shrouded GPU and using the CPU cooler as an exhaust.

David and Arboreal like this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

We use the Noctua NF-A8's in the 2U system I designed, great things, kicks out a surprising amount of air with litterally no noise! Very low pressure though. They're 25mm fans however.

We do use some coolers with NF-A9's if you can spare the extra 10mm. they're 14mm thick and do a fairly good job, although the coolers they run on have a low fin density which helps. Again, totally quiet.

Looking around the only actual slim 80mm fans looks to be this Noiseblocker, has a weirdly short cable, or this Akasa.

BeauchN likes this.
  5. David

Yeah, I briefly looked at de-shrouding but the noise and temperature performance on the 4060 LP is so good that it didn't seem like a worthwhile mod. In the ZS-A4DC, I fitted a pair of Akasa 80x10.8mm fans as exhausts and they were perfect.
    It's a solid front panel on the HT5, right?

Have you considered the printed 40mm fan mod for the 250 GaN? It might help with chassis temps, if you configure it to pull air from the PSU and let the CPU fan exhaust it from the case.

BeauchN and Arboreal like this.
  6. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

The case is almost exactly 80mm tall internally, so the NF-a9 is out, though 25mm thick 80mm would be fine if I deshroud the card. Static pressure is not really necessary here. The Akasa's might be a good shout. At 10mm they might even fit in without a deshroud...

Yeah, it's solid front panel and with the GaN250 on one side it essentially blocks any airflow from that side. I was very surprised how hot the GaN250 got to be honest. I've used longer M3 screws with a washer on as a spacer to allow some air to flow around it - which might help - but I'll look at the fan mod as well.

Cheers chaps.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. David

I'd be interested to know how you get on, if you do try a pair of 80x25 fans. I was tempted to mod a raised roof to accommodate a pair of NF-A8s in the A4DC, and move the fully vented top panel to the bottom.

In the unlikely event that you haven't already downloaded it, here's the SFFN thread for the 250 GaN mod.

8. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I'd found it, just need to find somewhere (relatively) locally to print it. There is plenty of space between the PSU and Mono to fit it in.

9. David

I'd recommend printing it in something a little more temperature resistant than PLA.

ABS or PETG would be a decent choice.

BeauchN likes this.