1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Sky Internet to TP-Link Router

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Calum Aldridge, 8 Apr 2024.

1. Calum Aldridge

Calum Aldridge What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    I was hoping for some advice because I'm losing the will to live fixing this!

I have sky broadband and have had it connected to a TPLINK-AC2800 for the past year or so with no issues. Recently I have noticed that the internet connected to the 2.4ghz band is very slow (Approx 1mb download!!), but on the 5ghz band it is as advertised (Approx 36mb download).

Looking through forums I tried changing the channel on the 2.4ghz range from Auto to a specified one and this worked for a short period of time and the speed increased to about 20mb download.

Today however I can't get any internet to the router at all and have had to revert back to the sky router which is not ideal. No matter what I do I can't seem to get the TPLINK router to recognise the sky broadband.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Calum

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's not you, it's them.
    Sky have been having a bit of a day, according to Down Detector

3. Calum Aldridge

Cheers Ian,

I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully it should work. Have you any idea why the speed dropped considerably only on the 2.4ghz network previously?

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

As you surmised yourself, the most likely culprit was a neighbour's wifi using the same channel.

5. Calum Aldridge

Thanks Ian, It's appreciated

6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you have (or have access to) an android phone, there's free apps that allow you to scan your wifi environment and see the activity on each of the channels. This will enable you to select a less busy channel for your 2.4GHz band and hopefully improve your speeds.

7. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

Ah so it's not just me having weirdness happening with them then!