1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Desk chairs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fuus, 8 Apr 2024.

1. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Evening all,

On a similar vein to my monitor arm ask - what is the go to premium chair, wih a cap of say £1k?

Is the Herman Miller Aeron still pick of the bunch?

I've currently got an Ikea Markus and although it's served well, the seat foam has sunk and as such isn't as comfy any more

Thanks in advance

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Be sure to try one but, if it suits you and you buy one, you won't regret it. Had mine 5½ years and is still as good as new, not even so much as a trace of gas lift sag... Still has 6½ years of warranty left too.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Yes but if you want a new one expect to pay over £1000, although John Lewis do it on 0% finance.

Definitely sit in one first. According to the Herman Miller's charts I fit comfortably into the middle size. I do not fit comfortably into the middle size, but the large size (C) is great.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2024
  4. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Third for a Herman! I don't have one at home.. don't spend enough time at the desk to warrant the outlay; however, we have them in work and I've never had any aches or pains from long days at the desk in the 15 years we've had them.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've got two "designer" chairs I alternate between, because my back is absolutely buggered and I'm trying to fix it. One's a Herman Miller Aeron, B-size, which is fantastically comfortable and I picked up second-hand for a song - aside from constantly having to replace the lumbar support cushion I love it.

The other, which is more of an active thing to fix my back, is a Varier Variable Balans. Not your usual office chair, but might be worth considering if you can try one out - you can use it as a kneeling chair, put one foot up on the knee pads to stretch out a bit, or flip it fully around and sit on it as a more traditional stool. I'm on mine right now, I love it also.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Worth noting that the lumbar support in the mk2 version of the Aeron, is much improved. After 5½ years, mine is still good.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, mine's an ancient first-gen thing that uses the two-point slidey cushion. I found an upgrade kit that reckons it can attach the new four-point support thing to the older chairs, but I wasn't completely convinced it'd work - and it was a hundred quid, which is more than I paid for the chair!

8. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I have spotted a first gen on marketplace which will set me back a couple of hundred, going to try it out this afternoon :cooldude:

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  9. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Update: I am an Aeron owner. Didn't think I would be saying that within 48 hours!

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

How much? What generation and config?

I keep delaying this, I really should get a proper ergonomic chair.

11. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Aeron Classic Size B with the old school lumbar support @Gareth Halfacree talked about for £200. I think generally they can be more like £250 second hand - ebay sold listings worth a look

wyx087 likes this.
  12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I bought my Aeron from something like Herman Miller London or London Aerons on eBay for £400.£450 ish. I must have had it close to 15yr, I don't think I'd have anything else.

Sentinel-R1 and wyx087 like this.
  13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I really don't like the arms on the Aerons, as I like to be about to put them down to tuck the chair away easily, but we have Mirra's at work and they're as good if not better in my expereince :)

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

My wife has a Mirra 2 which I don't like, largely because of the arms. She on the other hand, doesn't like my Aeron.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  15. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

Certain not a premium product/price... But I quite like the Corsair chairs. I don't know if I could spend 1k on a chair though!

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Once you own a really good chair that suits you well, you won’t regret it and, you won’t want to go back to a lesser one. I bought mine and my wife’s chairs, after getting a big PPI payout in 2018.

c0nstruct likes this.
  17. c0nstruct

Yeah I totally get that, it was the same with when I first sat in a Recaro!

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I don't get the whole racing seat trend for office chairs. Fashion over function IMO.

Totally personal choice though. If you're comfortable in a £100 chair instead of a £1k chair, that's all that really matters.

19. c0nstruct

I meant in a car mate - once you've driven something fast through a set of twisty cambered bends being held in by a bucket or reclining bucket, versus slippery leather seats with no bolstering, it is next level.

I have driven hours at a time, 12 hours straight a few times with only stops for fuel/toilet, and never had a bad back/aches... If I were to build a pc chair, I'd definitely consider fitting a real car reclining recaro to my base of my Corsair - having sat in pc fake racing seats, they are WORLDS apart dude. There is a reason Recaro/Bride seats cost thousands, versus cheaper brands.

20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I knew you meant car vs office chair but the Corsair's are all based on 'car seats' too, aren't they?

What I meant was that the ergonomics of a car seat are designed to bolster you and support you whilst your feet are almost straight out in front of you - both things that are completely unnecessary for office based ergonomics.