1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anti-theft for wireless devices??

Discussion in 'Software' started by ZapWizard, 11 Dec 2003.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

My next project will involve lots of wireless stuff, such as logitech keyboard and MX700

When taking these to a LAN I am worried about someone taking these when I am not at my PC.
    (Not at night, but like just to get food)

I was wondering if anyone knows of some Anti-theft software for wireless devices?

If not it would be totaly possible.

All the software would have to detect is whether or not the device is connected, and if it notices the device is out of range it can set off an alarm.

Anyone know of something that can do this?
    Or does someone want to take up the challange?

2. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

well what with u being an electronics dude, hows about a little vibration switch wired up to a loud buzzer inside the keyboard? with a little on/off switch somewhere, then if it was moved without flicking the switch an alarm would go off.
    perhaps the mouse could be a bit harder, but its quite small, just put it in your pocket and take it with you! :lol:

or the obvious solution would be some sort of securtiy chain, perhaps conected to your PS2 or USB ports :lol:

sorry, thats all i could think of!

RoB

3. ZapWizard

A chain would defeate the purpose of wireless :D

But tilt switches are a good idea!

If someone took a device they sure arn't going to keep it flat.
    (Like putting a keyboard under your arm, or a mouse in your pocket)

Tilt switches are small, and I can make them using a metal ball and wire.

It would also be nice to have the alarm sound come from the device and not the PC.

Mabye hack a 10-sec recorder to speak "Put me down!"

I remember the keyboard lock thread a while ago, I can put some of those ideas into it also. (To disable the alarm)

4. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

why not attach the tilt switch mechanism to a detonator and pack em full of C4. if som1 takes it it will just blow the guys hand off!!!!!

naturally a key would b used to disable the explosives so u can use it and big stickers that say its full of explosives might give som deterrence.

5. ZapWizard

Right... and damage my mouse!

No, instead a hacked up camera flash circuit can give a nice voltage straight to their hand :D

Effective and it gets my mouse back....

(Note the above is not serious, but would work)

6. RTT

RTT #parp

You know, that camera flash is a good idea. Not for electrocuting the theif, but rather creating a large flash of light, surprising the theif and attracting attention.

Maybe a succession of flashes and a piezo buzzer would do the trick? ...for a keyboard, at least!

7. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

easier: momentary switch under keyboard, and one of those old woman jogger sirens ... and a relay that fires the alarm when the switch opens ... maybe a 9v battery and a few ultra-bright red & blue leds too ... make it look like the pigs are storming ...
    [ed]: must have leds blink-y :)
    and as for the mouse, pocket it.

8. ZapWizard

I like the tilt switch idea, as a simple push button may end up too sensative.

The funny part is I can't pocket the mouse each time, as many events (like QuakeCon) won't let you take any kind of hardware out of the LAN until you leave for the last time.
    (Even headphones)

Now that doesn't stop someone inside the LAN from putting a mouse in their pack and leaving with it later.

I thought of a good idea for the mouse, it's an MX700
    I have a Keypad lock IC that is made for a 10 digit pad, but can be made for any number of keys less then that.

I am thinking of putting a four button combonation lock on the side via push buttons.
    It all depends on room of course.

9. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

hmmm, i dont think theres much room inside of a mx700, i remeber seeing a pic of one naked and it looked pretty squished!

haev you taken apart the base station, could could you put in a little circuit so that if there is no response from the keyboard/mouse (ie its out of range) it sets off an alarm? and perhaps adjust the arial size in the keyboard and mouse to limit the range to 6 foot or so? im not sure if thats possible but i thought it sounded cool!

otherwise, tilt/motion switches attached to a low power transmitter so an alarm on the pc goes off when they move?

i know youre in the us, but perhaps something like:maplin

codes: SH40T, VY48C could be useful in this project :idea:

make sure people know the stuff is alarmed/locked, otherwise it wont stop them, theyll still nick it just not get any use out of it!

RoB

ps why is this in software & operating systems?

10. ZapWizard

It is cramped, but I think I can fit a home made tilt switch and alarm inside.

I would actualy rather have the alarm come from the mouse, so that I could track it down if it was taken.

(The battery door would be glued shut, or some other battery would be used for the alarm)

11. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

perhaps you could do a bit of a safemod, and put one of those electric combination safe boxes on the front of your pc!

12. spirp

spirp What's a Dremel?

I was just thinking om something similar to this, but more in the way of making sure I'm not leaving anything behind when I'm traveling :)

About tilt-switches in mice, if you're anything like me, you'll move your mouse around quite a bit when using it. Won't this trick you anti-theft device into thinking you stole it? :)

13. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

for the keyboard, you could make it "push" some buttons when tilted, and by push I mean connect the leads so say Ctrl + Alt + F6 or something, and you either make or find a program that lets you set hotkeyes and define what happens when they're pressed

so....

you can make a sound file "put my keyboard back" or something to that affect and maybe even keep the flash :D

as for the mouse
    I completely agree with this, but you could add like an extra "button" or little metal touch sensor deal to the dip of the mouse (where you put your thumb) and make that somehow trigger keypresses or adapt the hotkey thing to handle mouse clicks and make it say "put my mouse back"

14. ZapWizard

Well this PC will use headphones at LANs so sound files don't help.

I will probably add dip-switches to the mouse (Pin code kind of lock), and a time-delay, as I don't want it activating just when I use it or show the led color on the bottom.

I will try a few ideas on the keyboard.

For example I have a code-lock chip that I may try to hack into the 10-key on the keyboard and use the keyboard to lock it's self.
    But it depends on how the matrix is wired in the keyboard.

So it may just come down to switches and time-delays also.

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Hey Zap, I've got a couple super tiny, super sensitive switches, why not try to find something simillar and rig up a "once picked up, sound alarm" type circut?

Pic:
    [​IMG]
    (blue rod things with black base to the right) They are super tiny, and it wouldn't be that hard to do something like that with them (normaly open, STDP). That board is out of an old floppy drive that burnt out, maybe try looking there.

[EDIT] Better pic:
    [​IMG]
    [/EDIT]

16. ZapWizard

Yep I got some of those, they are made for copy protection on floppies.

That is an option, but I would be concerned amout how much wear one of those could take against a gaming pad.

Right now I am modding my powersupply for this project, so I will have details on what I finaly do for the mouse and keyboard when I start a project log.

17. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Well, so long as you keep them somewhat protected it shouldn't be a problem, the one's I've got here have stood up to quite a bit of punishment thus far (cat even tried to chew emm off :eyebrow: ), so I don't think it would be that big of a problem.

18. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Hey Zap, did some thinking, and I think I've figured out a way to make the push button idea work with the mouse.

Very simple idea, take a small scalple, and cut out a small box type shape, but leave about 50% of one side still attached, then take a heat gun and bend it down slightly (other option would be to completely cut that bit off, witch would proably work better, then just mount it on the button), now take a very smal momentary push button (like the type in optical drives) and mount it just behind the newly created "flap" (or plate witchever way you went). Looking at my wireless mouse theres more than enough room right at the bottom by the batteries (when looking at the underside) where the logo's and such are.

19. ZapWizard

Actualy I was looking over other MX700 threads and came up with a new idea.

Use the mouse sensor. (in a way)

The LED goes to a slower flashing mode about 10 seconds after it stops moving.
    It then goes to an even slower flash after a few minutes.

I can use a RC circuit (resistor/capacitor) to make an alarm timer.

It will be very simple:
    The R/C will be kept charged anytime the LED is lit.
    This will be connected to a transistor to disable the tilt alarm circuit when in use.

I am not talking about a very loud alarm, so a simple long beeeeep (Like a BIOS sound of death)
    It will be enough to make someone take notice that someone has picked up the mouse.

And the circuit can be very tiny and fit in the front of the mouse.

So it will be more of a "The mouse has been picked up" rather then "the mouse has been stolen" alarm.
    Cause lets face it if someone wants to steal it they will.

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Sounds modderific :dremel: Your going to post a guide on this right? ;)

Tags: