1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ZapWizard -1U PSU Modification

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 5 Jan 2004.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Hey folks I am working on my next project, but don't have all the parts together to start a project log.
    So I will be showing some component modifications as teasers for ya. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

First off I was able to get my hands on a used server power supply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

This power supply is TINY, as tall and wide as a 5.25" drive.
    It has four 40mm fans, it's not terribly quiet, but I will work on it's placement to keep things silent.

[​IMG]

Don't let the size fool you though, this thing is powerfull.
    A full 380-watts of power. 26Amps alone on the 12-volt rail, perfect for powering lots of stuff.

[​IMG]

There is only one problem with this PSU:
    It was made for a server, which means it doesn't have a standard ATX connector.
    (The green connector in the image has 24 pins, rather then 20 pins)

[​IMG]

So I took the guts out and put it in a vice.

[​IMG]

Using a weller soldering iron and mini-torch I removed the wires from the power supply.

[​IMG]

I always like when companys have well labeled PCB's.
    There is more then enough holes for all the wires I will be re-soldering on.

[​IMG]

After ripping wirering from other old power supplies I was able to put together what is virtualy a build-your own PSU kit.

[​IMG]

The wires were removed from the molex connectors.

Also the ATX cable is totaly custom wired for a motherboard modification, which you will see later.

[​IMG]

Each connector was vinyl dyed, wires installed and sleeved up.
    Also one of the great advantages of hacking my own is that I know exactly how many molex connectors I will need, and so have no use for splitters.

Note the far right connector is a right angle connector, this will be used for the AGP Card power.

[​IMG]

The cables were soldered in place, the PSU was tested under a fan load, and with a multi-meter.
    I then tested it on a cheap motherboard.
    Which the power supply instantly fried. :waah:
    (The PSU is OK)

[​IMG]

:duh:
    I had forgot one thing, the custom ATX connector I wired does not work on regular motherboards.
    I had made the above adapter, but forgot to install it before testing.
    So, I installed the adapter and tested the power supply on the only other PC I had open, my main rig.

With great relief it works perfectly, and is running the PC I am typing this on now.
    :rock:

2. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Very nice ZapWizard, I applaud you. :clap: I like especially the customization of the power leads, "if it doesn't comply with what you want then make it!"

A suggestion for the PSU: Maybe water cool it?

Anyway, good luck with the project - hope to see more of your work. :D

3. ZapWizard

That is an option depending on time and money.

4. SilentNoise

SilentNoise What's a Dremel?

Well, considering the way that ammo case comp looked after you were done with it, I'm on the edge of my seat to see what you're up to this time around.
    (I'm also afraid because you make me look bad :D)

5. Deathmasher

Deathmasher What's a Dremel?

couldn't you have just wired it for a normal ATX plug instead of using the adapter wing ding? That would be the shizzle for a slim HTPC.

6. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Great work :clap:

But why the custom ATX connector. Is it for some kind of special motherboard or is it some kind of volt mod for higher overclocks on certain boards?

7. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Ya, you could just rewire your current ATX header and it would also be black and sleeved n' stuff, no need to bother with the adaptor eh?

Sweet work as usual :D

edit: DAMN! My Antec 550W only does 24A max on the 12v rail, that is a sweet PSU dude, great find :rock:

edit2: Maybe the mobo he will be using is not 'regular' and he only needed the Adaptor to test that the PSU actually works (and he only has regular mobos to test with:p)

Last edited: 5 Jan 2004
  8. Mightybob

Mightybob What's a Dremel?

that would be a good PSU to have in the drive bay, and have USB keyboard and mouse, front mounted audio ports, and find some way to have a front mounted VGA cable, and then it would be the ultimate "Dont go back there" PC.

9. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

Hmm, the custom ATX connector, I think I know why it's like that.

Check out the wiring, it's reversed along the length of it, I think someone is relocating the ATX connector on the mobo to the underside of the board to hide it (which would need reversed wiring), because I was thinking of the same thing. :thumb:

[Edit] I may be wrong though.

10. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

damn good idea, i thought of it too but i never thought to rewire the psu

11. ZapWizard

We have a winner! :thumb:

This is only 1 out of...(me counting)...21 connectors on this motherboard that will be totaly removed or flipped to the backside.

12. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

I look forward to seeing this. :)

13. MrShake

MrShake What's a Dremel?

The first thing I thought of after seeing the adaptor was a under-board ATX connector... *DROOL* IF only I had the BALLS to do that!! haha

14. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Not balls, skill.

Not too hard, just gotta have a solid hand, a small nib and lots of patience.

15. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

If there is one thing Zap has, it is a solid hand and a small nib...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

looks cool, and may be a mod to do in my next idea to clean up cable clutter.

16. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:

17. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I ment Steady hand....

18. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Dude you have way to much patience. Great job as always. :thumb:

Could it fit in a CD Drive bay with a little dremeling? Could be a great way to free up some much needed space in my rig.

19. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

what type of mother board did you mess up i have 1 or 2 mother boards they may be old but i have plans for them thats gotta suck

one fast question did sparks fly or did it just smoke

20. ZapWizard

It could fit into a CD bay without demeling.
    Mabye some holes for screws, but that is all.

I am not sure it is totaly fried (It poweres on, but doesn't boot)
    But no sparks, but the ATX cable did heatup, even when the board was off. (Meaning the +5VSB was grounded)