1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Paint shop Pro queries...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Puppet Master, 11 Feb 2002.

1. Puppet Master

Puppet Master What's a Dremel?

Ive recently got Paint Shop Pro 7 to help me design my web-site banner. As you can guess ive ran into some trouble and im wandering if you can help me.

I have a picture which i want to put onto my banner, the background of the picture is white. The background of the banner is black. I once accidently pasted a image onto a picture whilst testing it out. I pasted it as 'a transparent selection', to my suprise the actaul picture was highlighted and the background was no where to be seen. Which was great, i didnt have to do what i originally planned to do and go around the object painting the edges. You see i would use the wand to select the background and change the colour to black, but the edges of the picture would still be the same colour, so i would have to carefully go around the image with a paintbrush.

I thought i could do it to all pictures but i hit a dead end when i tried to do it with my banner. When i go to paste it as a transparent selection it comes up as it originally was with a white background on my black banner.

Do you have any suggestions?

2. Mayze

Mayze PH34R my ROBO Squirrel!

my suggestion is get rid of paint shop pro and get adobe photoshop 6 ;)

3. Puppet Master

Thats not really an option. I just only bought PSPro a few days ago.

4. Vertekal

Vertekal What's a Dremel?

Ok, you know when you have your normal paintbrush tool selected, how you pick a foreground and a background color?
    On your color palate, right above the big rainbow multi-color thingie, are 2 colored squares on either side of a doubleheaded arrow |_| <-> |_|

The color on the right is your background color. Make sure it's set to black if black is the color of the image you're pasting onto.

I also found it easier to make sure all layers are merged on your target image. Go to "Layers .. Merge .. Merge All". If you don't need your finished image to have multiple layers, do this.

I use PSP for most stuff that I do, unless it requires lots of detail.

Vert

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

A couple of points, you're better working with a web-safe pallette rather than the "big rainbow thing" (if you aren't already) and you can set the background transparent with Colors/Set Pallette Transparency (fill first with a colour you aren't using anywhere else).

Or you can do it in the Save Options, just make sure you've selected the background colour first in the box Vertekal mentioned.

6. Mayze

Mayze PH34R my ROBO Squirrel!

bought? :rolleyes: why?

7. Puppet Master

Eh? What are you talking about?

It cost me £30, i didnt see why i shouldnt buy it. Besides everyone is always raving about Paint shop Pro and how its awesome an all. I like it, but i havnt had any experience with anything better, except Corel Draw, which i already had.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I think Mayze may be suggesting a £550 program has a few features lacking in a £50 one. If you ever need them.

I'll spend the £500 on other things.

9. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

I have both PSP and Photoshop and I find PSP better :p

Photoshop is better equipped for more complex work than PSP, although I tend to find myself starting off some Grafx in PSP and finishing them off in Photshop

10. therider

therider What's a Dremel?

Paint shop pro rules been using since PSP3. (Hell i still use version 3 every day!)

Downloaded PSP7 on evaluation from the jasc web site, it works for 30days (or more ;) )

Original question; Did you have a play around with the layers? Dont merge them until your finish with the image. Or you'll be stuck with it!! The layers system in PSP takes some getting used to.

ride

11. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

id take PSP over adobe anyday too.. :)

anyway, just use the color replacer tool.. :)

Tags: