1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor CDRs which one do you suggest

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FaIIen, 26 Feb 2002.

1. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

ok i have two models in mind

CDRW - 24X/10X/40X PLEXTOR
    and
    CDRW - 40X/12X/40X PLEXTOR

of course the second one is more expensive but do you think there is a great difference between the 24x and 40x writing speed. Are there any cds that written to 40x ?

Thanks for any replies

2. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

I have the 24x one - and I love it! - I have yet to produce a coaster in over 200 discs! Whats the price diff between the 24x and the 40x? Also the availability of 40x discs might be a factor - I havent seen any on sale yet....

3. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

for the 24x is £115
    and the 40x is £158

4. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Ermm pretty close - I`d try and see what the price diff between 24x media and 40x media is - to see if its worth it. Maybe look for some 40x benchmarks? - I havent seen any yet tho.

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

To be quite truthfull 40x is only going to take about 30 - 45 secs of a burn compared to 24x which will take about 4 mins.
    If there isn't a great deal of difference i.e no more than £25 pounds then get the 40x.
    If you want to back up all your games without a patch do not get the plextors, apparently they can't do the new safedisk 2.5 protection. If your not worried about this then the plextor are reliable and have 2 yr warranty, and a good buy.

6. KevinOwns

KevinOwns What's a Dremel?

I have the 24x (got it before the 40) and the speed at which this burns is amazing. The speed increase will be low for the 40, as herbs said. If you want to pay the extra money (not much) go for it. If you want a great burner at a lower price, the 24x is fine.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Make sure it has a good amount of cache!!!

your 40x drive burns at 6meg/sec and typically a CDRW drive will have a 2meg cache - therefore if u hit any load on your IDE channel your cache will empty in 1/3rd of a second!! So youll get stop-start-stop-start-stop and itll take as long as a 24x drive.

Also there's v.v. little media avaliable for 24x let alone 40x drives, and the fact is - can you wait 1min longer for a CD to finish!? my 16x is fast enough, 5mins and its done. A 24x burns a whole disk in 3 mins and i spose a 40x will do it in 1.5mins?!

8. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

that's ok guys ..i've ordered the 24x ...along with 50cds :D thanks for the info

9. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

I've got the 12x10x32A... love the thing.... and honestly... wtf do you need a 40x for? christ i think my 12x is fast... and I don't notice much of a difference between that and my philips 16x....

10. wod_uk

wod_uk What's a Dremel?

herbs, i'm after a new burner aswell and was thinking of the plextor 24x

but seeing your post about plextors not doing safedisk 2.5 protection

which one do safedisk 2.5 as i was looking of doing some game backups

11. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

when you are saying game backups what exactly do you mean

12. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Visit www.cdfreaks.com or www.cdrinfo.com to find out what writers do sd 2.5 (lite-on 24102b does, as I backed up MOH:AA).
    I also find the www.cdrforum.cc has some really knowledgable ppl but you have to sign up to view.
    Generally what you gain in 1 area u lose in another like the plextor does audio protected discs where the lite-on cant.

Fallen: In most countries it is legal to make a copy of your own game, dvd etc for your own purposes. But if you give these copies out to friends or sell them then you will be breaking the law. Using a good cd burner and a cd clone you can backup most protected games.