1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Will I need a resister or Not?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RobbieGSM, 17 Jan 2004.

1. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Hey Guys.

Im going to be puting some brighter LEDs on the front of my case (see sig)
    i want to make the Bloo Power Led brighter and maybe the red HDD ones as well.

I will be getting aload of LEDS but i want to know will i need a resister as well for them?

Thank you,

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Hey cool, ive ordered a dump load of bright blue LEDs from Ultraleds.co.uk and im planning to do the same thing with them for my power and hdd LEDs too....
    ....don't mind if i wait here with u for some answers?
    :)

*ps, my LEDs are rated at 3.3v - what does the motherboard put out?*

3. zeano

zeano What's a Dremel?

Hey, I'm planning on creating a seperate source for the led's in my led fans (so that i can control the speeds of the fans without the leds dimming and also so i can just flick the lights off whenever i want) so i've been trying to find out some info on the resistor i'll need.. i found quite a nice little led calculator at http://linear1.org/ckts/led.php
    Theres also some info about resistors for leds on that site as well.

I think its a 200Ohm one i need because i looked inside the fan and i've worked out that it's converting/limiting the fans 12 volt input to 4 volts for the leds (by using a multimeter).

So mind if i also camp out and wait for some answers as well :)

P.S. My first post here so i just wanna say hi to all and also how inspirational this great site is, its just made me wanna mod mod mod my computer :D

4. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Nope Dont mnd people waiting here for some aswers as well.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS ZEANO !!

5. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

anyone get the feeling its gonna be like waiting fer buses to turn up :naughty:

6. zeano

zeano What's a Dremel?

haha, i know just how that feels :)

And thanks RobbieGSM!

BTW, i see that under my nick is says "What's a Dremel?" but i do know what a dremel is.. its one of those things to clean your teeth with :p na really, i should get one. they look like great little things to have around the place.

7. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

yeah use it on your teeth if you dont want teeth that is :D lol

i have one they are great!

Last edited: 18 Jan 2004
  8. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

yup they are great at removing plaque

9. ratty

ratty What's a Dremel?

thought i'd have a look 4 u while i wuz waiting 4 a patch to dl :)

LED Circuits
    To build LED circuits, it helps to be familiar with Ohm's law, and the concepts of voltage, resistance, and current.

LEDs do not have resistance like a resistor does. LEDs have a dynamic resistance, that is their resistance changes depending on how much current passes through them. But it's easiest to think of them as having NO resistance. This means that if you just connect an LED to a battery, you'll have a short circuit. That's bad. You would probably ruin your LED.

So an LED circuit needs some resistance in it, so that it isn't a short circuit. Actually we need a very specific amount of resistance. Among the specifications for LEDs, a "maximum forward current" rating is usually given. This is the most current that can pass through the LED without damaging it, and also the current at which the LED will produce the most light. A specific value of resistor is needed to obtain this exact current.

There is one more complication. LEDs consume a certain voltage. This is known as the "forward voltage drop", and is usually given with the specs for that LED. This must be taken into account when calculating the correct value of resistor to use.

So to drive an LED using a voltage source and a resistor in series with the LED, use the following equasion to determine the needed resistance:

Ohm's = ( Source Voltage - LED Voltage Drop ) / Amps

For example, to drive an LED from your car's 12v system, use the following values:

Source Voltage = 13.4 volts (12v car systems aren't really 12v in most cases)
    Voltage Drop = 3.6 volts (Typical for a blue or white LED)
    Desired Current = 30 milliamps (again, a typical value)

and the same site has a calculator thing http://www.ledsupply.com/techinfo.html

10. coorz

coorz Miffed

wow 8 replies and still no answer ? :blah:
    You can safely replace your HDD / Power LED for brighter ones, no resistor is required.

11. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

YES NO NEED FOR HARD WORK JUST SWITCH POWER / HDD LED FOR NEW ONES BUT DONT SOLDER FOR TOO LONG AS YOU WILL KILL THE LEDS (high temp contact max 4-5 seconds for almost all leds on the market )

ps:welcome to the forums

12. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

schweeeet - thanx for the info :)
    but does anybody actually know what voltage the LED headers on a motherboard put out? Im guessing cos they dont use resistors that its around 3.3-5v would that be right?

13. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

yeah cool thanks coorz!!