1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fumps going for it (new pics 23-01)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ellism, 19 Jan 2004.

1. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

hi guys, as u can see for the title this aint my mod but fumps so i will leave him to tell you whats going on. Secondly sorry about the pic quality, tis what i get for using a mobile phone camara.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Jan 2004
  2. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

yo thats me and he has more pictures. basicly its an AS project that involves making a case and watercooling setup all in 1. its main goals r 2 b quiet and good at cooling. at the moment i have cast and made 3 blocks and milled 2 of them, the CPU and the northbridge. using a piller drill 2 mill is not a good idea as the clamp wanders and the bearing are not designed 4 sideways movement. martin will get som more pics up laters, i hope. if i can get my hands on a camera i will take spm pics 2.

and if u r interested im brazing box section steel with and oxy-actylene welder, i jus prefer it 2 a torch. the case is big but i will hav a radiator running the whole length of the bottom. :brrr:

Last edited: 19 Jan 2004
  3. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

For real, oxy-acetylene kicks a gas/air torch any day! :baby:

Sounds like quite a cool project, im doing AS tech too, how did you come up with a problem for it? Might consider something similar for my next project... :worried:

4. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

sorry bout the double post (it is my log damn it!!) but i will also give u some more details. The blocks are cast aluminium, i made the patterns and cast them myself :D . the blocks are old skool spiral designs like the maze3 and all the blocks will b plexi covered with 12mm/1/2" barbs and tubing. the radiator is going to be made of copper pipe and will have 2 120mm fans sucking air from the front to the back over them. i was thinking a duel loop radiator so water that goes over the GPU and northbrige will b cooled b4 going over the CPU. I will buy a pump, somthing like a 1048 or somthing

5. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

problem? what problem? they said make somthing and this was plan B. plan A was a model remote controlled jet car powered by a valveless pulse jet. i cant weld so that idea got binned. :grr:

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Whoo! Black snow! :D

7. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

i remeber the black snow all too well... we are not allowed 2 use arc, MiG or TiG cos ppl could go blind. so we hav the old gas welder :rock:

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Any (preferably imperial, the government has moulded our minds ot the point where we can't conceptualize the size of something based on metric measurements alone) measurements?

EDIT: Post 1000! Yay! No one cares!

9. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

sorry my friend but i cant do imperial, it was measured in mm and mm alone. 600mm long by about that high, about 180 mm wide if not alittle more. all the steel was cut to lenghts i guessed looked ok. all the design work is in my head. it can fit in 6 drive bays and 4 hard drives and have space for the radiator at the bottom i think. enought space for an extended ATX board and all the other gubbins a pc needs. full 7 spaces 4 agp and pci aswell as back I/O plate. may have a 120mm fan at the back but at the mo i only have space 4 a 92mm. 120mm intake fan.

10. dirtbiker

If you can braze with oxy-acetylene then you'll be welding in 15mins, trust me.

Im talking about the problem for tech (Assesment Criteria A)? :worried:

11. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

yes i have a "problem" in hand. dont worry bout it. if i told u then u could steal my work so im keepin it 2 myself. :D

12. Altron

Altron Minimodder

24"x24"x7"

Big case.

What type of side panels will it have?

13. OldManOfModding

OldManOfModding What's a Dremel?

looking good.. subscribed

14. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

i was thinkin stainless or ally, whateva our skool has. it will have bolt on panels so they can b interchageable so i can make nay differnt style/paint jobs.

15. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Any plans for drive cages or motherboard trays?

16. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

yes the drives r going to b rubber mounted racks so vibrations r kept to the drives and the drive only. the hard drives, all 4 of them will also b in a rubber mounted rack but they may also b hot swapable with a hatch in the side pannel so u can remove the har drvie when u need 2. i hav a little extra idea for the CD ROMs that i will keep secret til i actually make it cos its kinda special. stay tuned.

17. Mutton

Mutton What's a Dremel?

Looking very promising.
    Best of luck.
    I assume a lot more than a nice mod rests on it.
    Altho iirc the process counts mainly for the marks.

Braising takes way too long for my liking. Welding definately much better, tho i could never see properly though the dark green glasses.

Post more soon plz. Pref better pics if you can.
    N1

18. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

always a fan of self build cases. sounds like a good a level piece :D

19. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Thats really funny, i live in america (i assume you do, as you use the "standard" system of measurement) and the science courses @ my school have used metric to the point where i can no longer think in standard. :) :hehe:

Oxy- acetlyne torches are fun (And yes i have ACTUALLY used one (and i'm in high school)).

20. dirtbiker

I wouldnt call them fun, scary, yes... :hehe:

Now angle grinders are fun! :dremel:

Yeah, any progression on the case yet?