1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowboarding Fly

Discussion in 'General' started by Fly, 20 Jan 2004.

1. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Well, I am here in a bar on the Austrian Alps, sipping hot chocolate watching the cute boarding chicks ride by. The snow is good, the company is excellent and my Gucci kit is protecting me well from the elements.

Now the version without rose tinted glasses:

I have discovered parts of my body that I never knew could hurt, the locals are rude and seem to be entirely set out to rip us off. It costs me 90p a minute to call home, the hotel is at the top of an enourmous hill and today I spent 45 minutes sliding down a blue run on my a** (standing on the board only worked for one or two minutes at a time). The locals have a decidedly dodgy taste in music and this internet terminal is expensive and has a foreign keyboard that messes up my touch typing (what on earth is that ---> ß).

All things considered though this is turning out to be a cracking break, and considering much of it is paid for by the RAF I think I`ll go fall over some more at the taxpayers expense.

later dudes and dudettes
    (translated via babelfish Snowboarder to English)
    Tally ho chaps and ladies.
    :naughty:

2. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

ROFL @ the translation.

I assume this is your first snowboarding holiday? I remember mine, Very rewarding sport to learn and oh so satisfying when it starts to go well.

Have Fun :thumb:

3. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I'm off skiing in Feb, should be good :) Loads of snow in France at the moment. This will be my 20th time or something ridiculous like that!

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Welcome to being a noobie :p ...I remember it well.

Sit on the board just behind one of the bindings and ride the bugger sledge style, thats always fun :D

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

That would be a double 's' can't recall the name of it now since I havn't studied foreign languages for a few years.

6. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

My first snowboarding experience kinda sucked to. People are extremely rude. Plus I hate skiiers zig zaging down the mountain not watching where they're going. One guy ran into my back side and was pissed I wasn't paying attention to where he was. Damn mook.

That was my first experience, after that I went to a place not far from my house and a fairly dense forest and had fun with a friend. Got quite a bit better, although I did fall over a stump a few times as it was covered by snow...

7. JADS

Generally though it is the other way around ;) I couldn't count the number of times I've been cut up by a boarder. Lets face it most boarders are inconsiderate immature idiots, because that is the type the sport attracts (because of the 'cool' factor). Plus they should be banned from ever going near a mogul because it destroys the pattern, i.e. they slide down a bit destroying the moguls decide they can't hack it and head off to somewhere more suitable.

8. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Fly has to have the best "posting from a foreign place" record posting from three countries that I know of. So far, I have posted on bit from: home and.... wait for it..... work :hehe:

ph34r me for I am the amazing traveling man.... not

9. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I think it's a combination of both really, atleast where I use to go. My friend was going straight down the course and a skiier hit him (hit a bump and literally flew into my friends head). Guess who the skiier blamed, we had to take him in to make sure he didn't have a concussion. I've seen snowboarders be complete jerks also though.

There are the nice ones though, and I'm glad there are a few around in both groups.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Your fault, you skiers have more manovaribility than a boarder! The type of person your likely to find snowboarding on piste is prob gonna be a beginner so you should keep the hell outta there way purely for that fact!

It is funny riding over the backs of skis and seeing the skier fall flat on their face though. Not something I do often though, only to cocky mates sometimes :satan:

There are a lot of *******s that board, which don't respect other people on the slopes. Annoyingly they give us a bad name.

11. JADS

It is rather difficult to avoid them when they come in on your blind side at mental velocities. Plus they are at their worst when they think they can get some air, forget the consequences when they come down again.

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

True, if some poor f**k decides to get in my landing after a kicker there's very little I can do to avoid them... damage limitation to me comes first.

Then again, I mostly stay of the main areas. I prefer to find somewhere where no ones been and where I get nice clean unbroken snow to carve.

13. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

What blind side? Skiiers can see everything in front and to the sides, boarders can see everything to one side, nothing to the other.

14. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Yeah, no kidding.

I have posted to bit in two countrys, but that's it. The 2nd country (Canada) isn't all that far away either :p

Glad you're having fun Fly, try to come back in one peice :D

15. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Don't you mean you've posted from another state?... :hehe: ... just kidding Canadians.. :worried:

16. VirtualEther

VirtualEther What's a Dremel?

I believe it is called the essette. I am not sure if I am spelling that right, but I think it is right phonetically. It's german by the way.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Or austrian (iirc).

Yea, its double "s" : essette.

18. freakweb

freakweb What's a Dremel?

Yeah, we use it alot on Germany, though due to the last grammar-reformation, it has nearly died out :(
    What about that : ä ü ö (umlaut overkill) :D
    But I have a hard time typing on English keyboards, too...;)
    I wish you a happy holiday :)

19. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Thänks for äll yöur kind wörds güys, I am trying my best to avoid skiers and boarders alike, and I hope they do the same to me on the piste. I have seen a fair few idiots on boards but also a fair few on skis to be honest, I guess being such different styles of carving up the snow it is bound to create ill feeling. As for the clashes skiers also do hit skiers and boarders boarders, i guess some people just don´t have sense on snow.

20. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

where in austria are you?

I snowboarded for a few years but tbh after a trip to St Anton I just gave up - probably the stupid instructors fault but nevermind I had fun getting in a snowboard pile at the top of a chair lift (it was stopped for 10 mins we were so tangled!!).

Nowadays I don't even ski - just snowblade and enjoy the mountains :)