1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit-meet 2004

Discussion in 'General' started by acron^, 23 Jan 2004.

?

When shall we meet?

1. Birmingham

40 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Leeds

22 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Alton Towers

16 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Somewhere else

39 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Hopefully we can get some staff other than me down too this time :)

2. quack

quack Minimodder

Is Easter the definite time for the meet? If so, I've got all 4 days off, so I should be able to come. Although, I'm free pretty much every weekend anyway.

3. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

needs to be in el paso, tx
    but austin would work

4. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

Austin would work. Just an hour drive.

5. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

I think the idea was sometime in the Easter holidays, rather than actually at Easter... has someone set a date?

6. quack

quack Minimodder

I wish I had a nice break for Easter instead of just the 4 days over the weekend. :miffed:

7. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

First off, alton towers is a big fat no-no. As is a LAN. I'm not travelling to the other side of the country so the group of people i came to meet **** off to queue for 3 hours to get on a damn ride. The place'll be too busy, we won't talk, and the place is lame anyway. Similarly, I get enough of being antisocial, ignoring other people, leeching and playing games at my local lan, not something i'm prepared to travel huge distances to do. Plus lugging my rig about on a train doesn't sound like fun (hey, at least i'm willing to travel, and not scared of trains :rolleyes: )

I'd be happy to meet anywhere 'normal'. A city, with pubs, shops, places to eat, you know... normal. My personal preference would be Birmingham, and i can't see how anyone could have the audacity to moan about travelling there, as when you consider the big picture Birmingham *IS* central, and although one or two people might think of it as 'too far', the average distance members end up travelling should weigh out about right.

Having said this, I'd probably turn up if it were held elsewhere.

As for the turnout, don't expect huge things. The last meet was nice, and had there not been great expectations it would've been fine. The way people kinda dropped like flies put it to a bad start, i felt sorry for hiren and simon they'd worked hard planning that day. Still, after the initial downer we had a good time anyway :D

Things to do:
    You can never be sure how many people will turn up. Some people may turn up unexpectedly, others will drop out. That's why stuff can't really be organised in advance properly.

I'd seriously recommend meeting in a bar. The Notts meet was good; we met in a 'function area' of a pretty cool pub. Again, due to numbers not being definite, I wouldn't recommend paying for this room, just ask nicely if you can have it (try to find a quiet place who'd appreciate a couple of hours steady business for example. the pub I work at books out the entire basement bar for free on a fri/sat nite if you guarantee at least 60 guests ffs, and it's not like we're a quite bar, it makes good business sense)

We could move on from this bar after a little, and do whatever the hell anyone who bothered to turn up actually wants to do, as opposed to having the whole day pre-planned and end up doing lame stuff that people who didn't turn up requested.

I'm guessing this would probably end up being get food and go to another pub, but if there were a bowling alley in the near vicinity i can't see why we wouldn't pop in for a quick game and some cool-shoes pics :D (even better if the place is licensed xD)

And those who moan that they can't drink... Either,
    a) you're too young, or more importantly look too young. it ain't my fault, stfu child, drink yo' milkshake :p
    b) you're driving... hmm, insolent fool. this is a meet. it has been determined that most activities will revolve around alcohol, catch the train or get a damned bus pass :p even better make a weekend of it, stay a night in a hotel! Alternatively, a cheap ass b+b or sleeping in the gutter covered in your own vomit works just as well… You’ll be sober by tomorrow so np :D

Anyway quite a little rant, so um here's a summary:

SUMMARY FOR LAZY BIZNITCHEZ WHO CAN'T BE ARSED READING THIS POST:

alton towers == teh sux
    lan == teh sux
    anywhere fairly central == good
    bham == teh win
    driving == bad idea
    public transport (and hotel if required) == 1,000 bonus points

meet in pub, decide where to go after in said pub.

personally, i'd like pubs (and a lot of em), proper food, nightclub, hotel, sightseeage + shopping day after :) (don't ask for much do i? :p)

Oh, and could it please be on a fri/sat so we can have a really decent night out, and maybe go to a good club if anybody wants to? Fri would be best as those staying the night could do some stuff on the sat before heading home.

Anyway, I would say that’s my 2p, but I reckon there’s at least a shilling there :p

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Woa great post Darren pretty much summed up everything I think. You and Phat made a supper effort Wales -> Notts at the last meet and you guys stayed the night. (Note to all Travel Inns are dirt cheap to stay in).

One thing I'd suggest to Acorn + whoever is orgainising the meet, maybe it would be a good idea for bit-techers under 16s not to come? Just with all the scare stories you hear in the media about kids meeting people they don't know off the net (I'm sure bit-techers are all sane well maybe not Phat :D ). Just that I wouldn't want Bit-tech to get into trouble should something happen to a minor whilst traveling to / at the meet / or leaving the meet.

Well just something for you guys to consider.

9. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

:hehe: acron...

anyway, yeah, i guess i managed to miss something out :wallbash: nm. maybe under 16's could bring their mummy's with them?

Seriously though, it might be a problem if a minor got into some kind of trouble travelling to/from or even at the meet. 16+ is fine for pubs and stuff, as long as they don't look stupidly young, they'd either get away with it, or at least be allowed to stay with us drinking soft drinks until we can be arsed going to the offy for some laser lol

Under 16s might be a bad idea, i don't know the legality of this stuff, but how many parents would want their child (i don't want <16y.o. bit-techers screaming 'i'm not a kid!' at me, because yes, yes you are :p) travelling across the country to meet their 'internet friends' who may be quite a bit older, and some even as perverted as penski :eeek: (j/k... i think :lol: )

So yeah, add that to my oh so short list of requests please... no under 16's (without a milf or hot guardian present)

10. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Central to England :duh:

Not the UK, which includes Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland...

Somewhere like Manchester is probably nearer the centre of the UK "when you consider the big picture"

UK Map

11. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

Thanks for the map, i was not aware of my own country's geography. To be pedantic, imo the center of the UK should be somewhere in the sea between anglesey and the isle of man :p

Birmingham imo is central by means of train access. Also, central to the majority of bit-techers interested, as i'm guessing most will be voting for the nearest place to them making birmingham closer to twice as many people as leeds. Therefore, the fact
    stands :p

see i am teh clev0r :clap:

so, who's up for a party on a barge in the middle of the irish sea? as it's geographically central it should be a piece of flying piss to get there, and everybody's happy :rolleyes:

edit: i'd like to mention that my choice of birmingham over leeds is completely selfless, as the distance between me and both cities seems pretty much the same...
    autoroute says, bangor -> leeds = 140miles; bangor -> birmingham = 155miles

Last edited: 27 Jan 2004
  12. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

if you want truly central, it should be way out in the middle of "the pond," so you UKers and us USers both have equal access.
    /hides behind K's tank

13. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

or maybe deep at the molten core of the earth? :idea:

:rolleyes:

**** this... last time i post something that may be construed as a helpful post.

now where's that can opener?

//opens up a tin of spam

14. mushky

mushky gimme snails

well said MrDT you are a true ambassador.

15. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

There's no need to be so pissy with me just cos' i have slight problems with funding, travelling to birmingham and back again - i only moan cos i actually WANT to go. And unlike all these 'no shows' I can guarantee you I wont be doign anything. Hence why if I could go I wudda set aside a whatever date it happens on to go.

If hardly anyone ever turns up anyways why are you bothering to get opinions on what should be done, stick some person in charge, set a date set a time n have done with it?

If anyone would like to mayhaps have a leeds meet up some other time in the year I'd be willing for it. :)

16. micb

micb Minimodder

If you look at the Votes currently Birmingham = 37, Leeds = 8.

That is 21% for leeds and 79% for Birmingham.

Surly the numbers for Leeds are way to low especially if people may not turn up on the day.

17. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

can i just ask if the vote was reset when the other places were added?

Anyhoo - if all 8 people that voted for leeds were willing to show up one time, I'd be quite happy with that for alittle meet up :)

When I'm older and able to come to birMINGham without hassle I will do :)

18. philth

philth What's a Dremel?

I vote for borobridge, yorkshire. We'll all meet up in the (still standing) tree house i built in my friends back garden about 6 years ago.

philth

19. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Nope, but if anyone wants to change their vote from Brummingham to anywhere else just post it here and I will do it for you.

20. AcEmAsTr

AcEmAsTr Banned

cambridge?