Electronics wireless receiver help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by JEEVES, 29 Jan 2004.

1. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

ok this is the receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse. I need help finding the antenna leads. this is a 2 channel receiver and i am thinking that there are two antennas (one for each channel). I am going to be interalizing this into my mobile media pc http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=50228 and i need to up the range on the receiver. I am going to be using zapwizards idea of using an antenna (or mabey just use the metal case as the antenna) but i cant find the f'ing leads. so here are the pics one of each side of the pcb

[​IMG]
    now i am thinking that the antennas are in this bottom pic. see how there is an exact mirror of everything on that raised pcb. could the black cylinders (in the metal squares) at the bottom be the antenna (one for each channel). Or am i just way off on this. as you can tell by my techincal terms i know little about components.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help

JEEVES

Last edited: 29 Jan 2004
  2. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

i see that people are viewing this thread but yet no one has responded. Am i not explaining it right? Basicly i need to know where the antenna is on this pcb. I want be positive before i remove the wrong thing. Or just any idea on how to up the range.

JEEVES

3. hanclansolo

hanclansolo What's a Dremel?

I may be wrong, but it looks to me that there is one antena and its running the outer rim of the circuit boards. the leads would be in the top picture in the upper right hand corner, and in the bottom picture, it would be in the lower right hand corner. Follow the trace and you'll find the main lead next to the resister on the top picture. Hope that helps.

4. TMM

TMM Modder

i think your right. other wise it would be complety use less for that link. you could also trace the antennas to the 4 round/rectangle silver thingos, they regulate the freqency from my experiances with radio control model cars.

edit: yep that link just goes to nowhere, only one end id connected to something, its DEFINATLY the antenna!

Last edited: 30 Jan 2004
  5. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

great, thanks you guys. What would i ever do with out the bit tech forums. :clap: thanks again

JEEVES

6. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Doh, missed the thread, but it looks like you have it solved.

Some tips:
    Connect the external antenna to either the very end of that trace, or the very beginning. (And cut the rest to seperate them)

Antennas needs a good ground connection running up to the antenna.
    (But don't ground the antenna)
    So use sheilded wire for this.

Make sure your antenna length is correct for the frequency you need.
    This is printed on the crystals (silver cans) on the smaller PCB.

7. prophecy421

prophecy421 What's a Dremel?

yeah it looks like the antenna is runnung along the edges of the recieverboard. try to have the wire the same length as the one along the outer edge.any longer or shorter may detune it and will result with shorter reception or worse case no reception at all. (I have experiance with radio devices. i.e. cellular, pagers ect.) but if you know the frequency specs and have access to an ocilloscope for tuning you could make the antenna as long as you like. I see the RX has a couple of tuning pots near the crystals. I personally did the same thing with my KB & mouse, I got the range from a measlily 10-15 feet to a nice 50 feet. :D

8. Basterdnelli

Basterdnelli What's a Dremel?

Just wondered what model mouse receiver you were taking apart. I have one of the older logitech receivers it looks like a shoe tree (lol u know the things u put in the shoes to fill them) and I couldn't figure out how to get it apart. Don't want to put too much force on it and break it. The circiut bord on the bottom of this page http://www.afrotechmods.com/fuxx0red/mouse/mouse.htm looks like what would be in mine. So how do I get the receiver apart? :wallbash: